Like Tree2Likes

Our plan to move to HK - advice / opinions appreciated

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly111:
    As I said previously its more of a lifestyle move. Not a month goes by here were we hear some sort of hurtful racial remark targeted at asians or foreigners (us even) in public. Eggs thrown etc. Although a lucky land of plenty, living in Australia is not what it's made out to be in the brochures as it were. It's basically turning into a big quarry inhabited by uneducated, aggressive people that live alchohol-fuelled lives, loving their beer more than their partner...half of which mooch off short-sighted government handouts....I could go on...
    Where is Australia do you live? I have never experienced this once in Melbourne, Sydney or Adelaide CBDs. Alone or part of a mixed couple. Melbourne in particular is one of the most multi-cultural cities in the world.

If it's mostly to avoid a type of people, moving suburbs in Australia while maintaining your income is more practical than moving countries.
    Skyhook likes this.

Thanks for the replies. The main reason for the move is more for cultural and lifestyle reasons - we are still relatively young, with no kids and want to experience variety life and adventure at this time. In our line of work we often have put up with verbal abuse so have developed thick skins anyway Cost of living here is steadily increasing also - it is cheaper to live in the UK these days!

In my humble opinions, Australia simply does not have any depth of culture as a country no matter where you are. It is a lucky country dont get me wrong, but I think people here just dont realise or appreciate that enough.

I'm curious, what sort of middle management roles can an English only speaker with a single tertiary qualification do in HK?

I was under the impression that rental returns here are quite low, so you need to do some homework on that.

I see the news stories of Asians being subject to racism in Australia and don't doubt that racism is alive across the world including including Down Under. Not sure why you think that HK is some racial Nirvana and bursting with culture but each to their own.

The irony of the Australia stories is that on Friday night I went to listen to a young Chinese singer who just got back to HK from Australia where he was on a working holiday visa and busking on the streets. He seemed to be energized from his experience. In fact he was in some vote for Australia's best busker. I know Koreans who were at univ. in Aus. and they too had a great time and no issues. He seemed to do quite well in the money department there.

I am not sure there is anywhere in the world you will find perfection and no problems.

As someone who doesn't like racism or knocking others for their ethnicity or culture or sexual orientation I must say I am quite surprised by comments that SOME HKers here make. Not all HKers but enough to make me realize that while HK has very visible expat populations including non-Caucasians there are still some attitudes towards other ethnic groups that suggests that in no way is this some sort of cultural melting pot. Mixed marriages here don't seem to be accepted by many families according to some friends of mine here. It is not that HKers aren't good people - I just hear too many ignorant and misguided statements that make me a bit uncomfortable coming from Canada where people would never make such statements in any reasonable group.

Interesting comments - thanks. It's going to be a risk for us, that's for sure, but am attempting to do as much research as possible whilst I still have ample time. Always grateful for any advice/comments.

Yes, does appear as if HK property market might be in for a downturn. 4% yield isnt too bad - im getting high 5% in a tight market in Aus. However on [positively geared esp] property marginal tax rates on rental income is quite high - over 30%, then CG tax ontop at marginal rates once sold.

Last edited by Grizzly111; 22-01-2012 at 11:03 AM.