A bunch of questions

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question A bunch of questions

I will be moving to HK in about 2 months and I have many questions. I've read many topics on this forum and was able to learn quite a bit already.

Situation
    I was born in HK and my family moved to the US. I'm pretty Americanized, but I've been able to retain conversational Mandarin and Cantonese. I can definitely survive living like a local HK resident.

I work for a financial firm and a job offer came recently with a healthy package of salary, benefits, apartment and travel expenditures. I will be heading our branch office in HK.

1. Apartment - since it will be covered by the company, I would like to look for something decent by American standards without overpaying. 3 bedrooms (master, guest and maid)with at least 900 sq ft in a relatively modern building. Low noise level from street and neighbor. On top level if possible. Commute should be no more than 30 minutes to Central without transferring between buses or MTR. The job may require some travel to Shenzhen and other parts of China, so the location should be convenient to the ferry, KCR and airport. Which housing complex or neighborhoods should I consider? Realistic price range?

2. Maid - the idea of having someone cook and clean for me is intriguing. $500 USD a month is a great value for me. Does anyone have experience living with a full-time maid? Are there other costs involved (taxes, fees, food, stipend)?

3. Products you can't get in HK - What common household products can't you get in HK? I have very specific taste in simple things like toilet paper, cotton pads, Q-Tips, etc. What should I bring with me from the US?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by chowfun:
    I have very specific taste in simple things like toilet paper, cotton pads, Q-Tips, etc. What should I bring with me from the US?
    Your psychiatrist?

Don't worry too much about the travel - unless its daily. Even then, the taxis and public transport are good enough. We know folks who commute to Shenzhen on a daily basis from virtually all parts of the island.

$500-550 / month should pretty much cover the expenses for a domestic helper (the PC term these days), including food / insurance etc.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chowfun
    I have very specific taste in simple things like toilet paper, cotton pads, Q-Tips, etc. What should I bring with me from the US?

Your psychiatrist?

yes they only sell very basic, rough and chaffing toilet paper here, the kind that resembles tracing paper ..

i suggest you fill 2 suitcases of soft velvety paper for shipping or alternatively arrange with a US Supplier to deliver here for you

No Joking aside the supermarkets should cater to your needs .. but you need to be more specific here for us to confirm for sure

Certain deordorant brands are hard to find here. If you are really hung up on a specific brand, load up on it and bring it over. Even if they sell it here, it might not the exact same thing and bringing it over will save you money in the short term.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Your psychiatrist?
    You can't beat Charmin Ultra II toilet paper in softness, genuine Q-Tips , and other brand specific quality.

I've had generic brands fall apart or cause problems, so I want to make sure I bring enough supplies to last me until my next trip to the US.

Unless you've reach Madonaesque diva levels .. I find it a bit weird that you seem to indicate that you're willing to make career sacrifices for that oh so smooth nice feeling for wiping your bum once a day (I presume).

God forbid you get a case of the Delhi Belly and need to use an establishment that just stocks Charmin Ultra I.

Do you take your own stock of toilet paper with you when you go on holiday or staying in a hotel? What about when you are out and need to use a public toilet? Really weird.

Real Q-tips are easy to find here - I agree that they are better than other brands. A store called Gateway stocks several premium US tp brands and many other household products from the US. Particular deodorant brands are hard to find here and may be worth stocking up on. Same goes for shampoo and conditioner, if you are picky about that.

You can get toilet paper with aloe in it at Gateway. We use a local brand that's soft enough. lol. The only things I have sent over regularly are face wash, vitamins (available here, but cheaper to have sent over), Hanes wifebeaters, bulk whey protein and lactase (I'm lactose intolerant).

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast