Like Tree77Likes

Student Exchange in HK

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by keyanddoor:
    there is no mtr nearby, so waiting for buses becomes stressful again...

So it makes perfect sense, JJ.
    Oh yeah, that clears it up! Please accept my apologies. I didnt realize that you were facing such a troubling task. There is large population of people who suffer from PTSD (google it) here in HK from all the "waiting for bus stress".

Hmm, I have to agree with some comments on here that your requirements, given the fact that you are a student and only going to be in HK for 4 months, are really strange. You're saying that the things that you're used to from back home are due to the fact that you're coming from another culture. Even though I have never been to SG, I still don't believe that your 'standards' are 'normal' in SG...

Anyway, he may be a spoilt brat, but each to their own... If OP wants to live in a mansion while living in HK and drive a Ferrari, so be it, if daddy's willing to pay for it. Just because most of us didn't have this type of lifestyle while we were students, others don't have to make fun of him, but should rather try to help him getting answers to his questions. Even though most people on this forum are very helpful, I have to say that some comments on here are very judgemental and sometimes even rude. Let him drive a car on the campus if he can afford it! Just because some of you disagree with his requirements, you don't need to be so hard on him, but should rather try helping him getting the answers he's looking for on here.

keyanddoor likes this.

Travelbee, I partly agree BUT comments like getting stress while waiting for a bus are not going to win him/her any fans are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    Travelbee, I partly agree BUT comments like getting stress while waiting for a bus are not going to win him/her any fans are they?
    Satay Sue, yeah, I totally agree. He seems to exaggerate with these comments, but maybe it's because he's trying to justify the lifestyle he's used to in SG?! I don't know to be honest, and I don't try to analyze why he wants the things he wants, while he's gonna be in HK for only 4 months... (yes, wanna buying a sports car for 4 months sounds weird - but maybe he wants to impress or pick up some hot HK chicks off the campus... who the heck cares anyway?!) I just think that sometimes some people on here are a bit judgemental and get off topic, just because they disagree with other people's lifestyle... We all have to keep in mind that this is an expat forum and people who join this forum come from all over the world and from different cultures, so, some questions posted on here may raise your eyebrow, but whatever.... if that's what he wants and we can help each other clarifying questions, we should be doing so without questioning too much why he/she is asking this question...
    keyanddoor likes this.

He's scared of Laundry FFS!
    And he might have to clean his room!

Last edited by jimbo; 02-02-2012 at 12:42 PM.

In my time student exchange was to open your eyes to new cultures and experience things outside of your normal life. I am not sure if that changed so much in recent years. But I do think it's still a great way for young adults to embrace different point of view in life.

I am not sure if hotels and cars will help you experience student exchange life to it's fullest. I guess if you did want to have a striking new experience you, from Singapore, will not come to HKG, but adventure out further, but I still think you have a chance to experience something different from your ordinary life in Singapore and maybe go back home with a new perpective of life.

I have met Singaporeans who stayed here which enlighted them that they should appreciate life in Singapore even more - HK being dirty, chaotic - which is another lesson I suppose. But also there are people who change their way of life. I don't think ever in my life I could have said my life is perfect and complete because that's seems like I'm just too blind and not open to possibility to improve myself.

As many people in in forum, I know Singapore way of life fairly closely as being married to a Singaporean and also lived there myself. I understand your point of stress of waiting for a bus, mocked by many here, because in Singapore it IS rather challenging to wait for a bus in 35 degree sunny weather for 20 mins. But this is Hong Kong. Buses come by every min - all sorts from mini to double decker - and if you are tired of waiting, flag a cab. Getting cab here is nowhere difficult as in Singapore. I never had to call for a cab nor waited more than a min to flag down one. And there are no surcharges. Everytime we visit Singapore and come back, we are greeted by a fleet of red cabs which happily takes us whereever we want. There is no where in Hong Kong a cab will not be able to take you to, and it will save you the hassle of worrying about parking. After a brief period of debate of getting a car, we both scraped the idea and now perfectly happy with our lives.

As for laundry, my husbdan when he first came to Hong Kong, chose to walk down to the laundry shop and dump his weekly lanudry there, as never really been doing laundry before. Now after a few years, he is a chief laundry man of the house. The thing that changed for him is that he was forced to do housework by himself through me, as I was brought up by a value that taking care of oneself by doing housework is a vertue. And from never do housework guy, he embraced the idea of doing work around the house for himself - from cleaning, cooking, house maintainance - instead of hiring someone.

I am not sure if you have anyone around you that knows life in Hong Kong well - first hand experience, not just impression as a tourist - that can clarify to you how your life here will be like. Maybe you can ask a bit more questions about life in Hong Kong before you make decisions about housing and cars.

OP, sorry about these jealous people. Pathetic really.

I'm with you on this. When I was 18 I went to Italy to study. I do love Italy, but my favourite type of food is actually from Croatia. So what I did was I asked daddy to buy me a yacht. I was staying very near Croatia and my driver, Harold, used to laugh at my eating habits when I called him at 230am to drive me across the water.

Of course, Croatia has smelly sand on its beaches which I was afraid of getting between my toes so I generally got Harold to phone my favourite Croatian chef, clive, and he would cook me whatever I wanted and bring it to my yacht in an airtight container. Good old Clive.

I really enjoyed my time studying. I was really pleased with the essays I submitted. I didn't read them all but Harold assures me they were very well written.

It was amazing what I learnt about Italian culture. For example, did you know people there actually eat food with their hands without sterilizing them first? And some of them ride these cute little vehicles with only two wheels. They really are adorable. as I watched them from my penthouse, I often said to Harold "how quaint these commoners are, isn't it sweet?" He replied, "yes sir, and which massage oil would you like me to apply today?" Always on task, dear boy.

Don't listen to these haters. take what you can and, like me, you'll be a better person for it.

Last edited by justjoe86; 02-02-2012 at 02:16 PM.
    PDLM, luckycat, Satay Sue and 4 others like this.

Forgot what they OP background his but maybe her is coming for an EMBA and as such is 30+, has money from previous work experience...

OK Ok i'm kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by keyanddoor:
    lol, i guess i really am a spoilt brat.
    so can you please help me with my question of the main topic?

i don't get your point.
    I dun think you get the sarcasim here. But again, Singapore army wouldn't really toughen anyone up. Heard that they outsourced food to a catering company, you can bring in cells phone w/o cameras (that's why in SG you can get a iphone w/o a camera for an additional fee!), go home on weekends and bring in toiletry if the one provided is not up to your standard....

Fiona in HKG likes this.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast