Emergency employment visas?

Closed Thread

Emergency employment visas?

Hoping someone can help.. here is my background:

-came to HK in 2009 on a company sponsored visa, which I extended once
    -it expired in Nov 2011 and I was in the process of getting it extended when I changed jobs. I was instructed by HK ImmD to leave HK and come back as a visitor at this point. I did this.
    -the new job did not work out so I have continued to look for jobs in HK since then. I am not planning to leave HK, I want to stay and work here. I am currently on a visitor status (I know it's illegal to reside here on a visitor status but I had my apartment etc before it expired..)
    -I have just been offered a new job in HK and the new company will need to go through the process of sponsorship/visa renewal, and they want me to start working right away. They have asked about emergency or urgent employment visas as they don't want me to be working illegally while the bigger employment sponsorship visa is pending. Do these emergency or urgent employment visas exist? My new boss suggests they do (they are in publishing and have experienced this previously). Would hiring me as a part-time consultant work? Would I still sign something?

Thank you!

Not they don't and no hiring you as a consultant would be illegal.

If your employer can make a strong case to ImmD and if both they and you are know to them then you might get a visa in a couple of weeks I guess. For very senior people it can be done quicker (see after the Japan earthquake / tsunami for example) but they are very very exceptional cases.

I have a friend who was recently asked to look into the same kind of visa and found there wasn't one. Once she and her employer got all of their documentation together it only took four weeks to process the visa.

Sean de Cuirteis