Where to send hubby for accomodation on recon trip?

Closed Thread

Where to send hubby for accomodation on recon trip?

I'm sure this topic has been discussed to death but I would still like to hear your opinions. My husband is contemplating a career move to HK (from Canada) and he will be visiting HK in Mar. I would like to ask him to visit a few neighborhoods for us to live. We are a family of 5, with 4-year old triplets.

Ideally, we would like the following (I know..I know...there is no such thing as Utopia ):
    1. More open space - one of my daughter has chronic lungs disease/ respiratory issues
    2. Convenient transport to Exchange Sq @ Central - 45mins commute is okay as long as comfortable and no changes required (bus/ MTR/ shuttle etc)
    3. Easy access to supermarkets etc - with triplets, any outing is a logistical challenge
    4. Proximity to hospitals - for emergencies (we have had a few!)
    5. Size/ budget - at least 1,000 sq ft up to HKD 40,000/mth (we are used to small spaces, presently living in an apt. too)

Initially I will be a stay-home-mom until we are established. Then I will likely seek work in the Financial industry, which I presume will be around Central area.

The area that I have seen might work (based on 2 weeks' worth of reading all the threads here) is Discovery Bay. But is there any other places that we should check out? We plan to send our children to local schools so I am currently not too concerned about being near the 'desirable' schools/ international schools.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Perhaps also Pokfulam, for one thing there is the largest hospital in Hong Kong there, plus there can be a strong breeze coming from the sea. Bagiuo Villas, Four Winds and Victoria Garden are around your price range and 1500+ sq.ft. They are older so have more usable space.

Schools: can't help much with that. I think the nearest government primary schools would be Aberdeen, otherwise it would be government-aided or private. Here is a nearby government-aided one: è–å…¬æœƒç½®å¯Œå§‹å—å° å­¸

Finally, as one of your daughters has chronic lungs disease/ respiratory issues, you should seriously consider whether moving to a place where the government issues warnings telling people with such conditions to stay indoors (and that's with the government's dodgy pollution measuring*) would be in her best interest. Obviously, many parents do decide that the money/experience/job prospects are worth it and, while I'm sure many here will comment on my comment, it is a personal decision.

* Hong Kong’s air-quality objective for particulates is 180; the World Health Organization's guideline is 50.

You should not move here if your daughter has chronic lung disease. Seriously this is a bad place for kids without lung problems.

Would look at Pok Fu Lam, with your budget it will be a little of a stretch to find 1000 square feet, but possible, especially in older buildings. You might also find something that meets your requirements in MidLevels East (look around Shu Fai Terrace and there are a couple other "terraces" off of the road leading over the hill towards Repulse Bay) and Bowen/ Kennedy Road.

Discovery Bay is also an option, but I would solicit opinions from members on the Geobaby website regarding access to hospitals after hours and schooling. I think the only schools actually in Disco Bay are private and way oversubscribed and not sure what commute times are like to local schools.

In terms of space, you'll get more space for less money in the New Territories, including places like Clearwater Bay, but they won't meet your criteria in terms of only taking one type of transport and no changes to get to Central.

You also might get lucky and find a place within your budget in somewhere like Stanley, Repulse Bay or Redhill now that prices are going down a bit and this might be worth exploring with an estate agent as the areas, like Pok Fu Lam, are nice for kids and have more open space for outdoor activities. For example, here is a 1000 square foot place in Stanley that is in your budget. Hong Kong Property, Apartment for Rent and for Sale - Hong Kong Realty

Happy Valley ticks all the boxes except for the issues with the Lungs...I cant think of a "good" place for anyone with health issues in Hong Kong.

I would also suggfest looking at Pok Fu Lam / Cyberport (Bagiuo Villas, Bel Air). Close to Queen Mary Hospital and convinient commute options to Central. However as others mentioned, HK may be rough for anyone with respiratory issues.

For the other side of the coin, may I suggest somewhere like Sai Kung or Clearwater Bay?

Sai Kung may be a bit too far but Clearwater Bay may suit. It takes us ten minutes to drive to Hang Hau MTR. Once I am onthe MTR, it takes about 35 minutes to get to Wanchai - so, I guess just over 40 minutes to Central.

I don't have any scientific evidence to prove it, but the air feels much cleaner in Clearwater Bay than on the island. I don't, however, know where the nearest hospital is - I assume it is in Tseung Kwan O - a fifteen minute drive.

You can easily get a three story townhouse for your budget (it will probably be 2100 feet) and there are both pubic and international schools in the vicinity.

I'd tend to recommend Discovery Bay too. Lot's of expats with kids, generally bigger apartments than on Hong Kong island and only twenty minutes away on a ferry. Lot's of hiking trails etc but as with all of Hong Kong you would would still have some concerns over air quality. The link below is good for monitoring the Air Pollution index by location in Hong Kong
    Environmental Protection Department

Sean de Cuirteis