Like Tree19Likes

Moving to hongkong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I wanted to know that do we really have good jobs for english speaking people in hongkong or shall i drop my plan....becuase if a perosn is planning to settle from UK to india he does not have to think about the language since we people speak good english....so why i have to think before leaving to hongkong...please suggest!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I'm reasonably certain you are being scammed.
    I am instinctively with PDLM on this. A QMAS Visa all ready and waiting for you? And through an agent? I personally don't know too much about QMAS but search on this forum for it and see the hoops that people need to jump through to get it.

I suspect that the agent who is a relative is trying his best, but probably does not realise that QMAS is not guaranteed at all and does not like to tell his relative that.

To the OP - pls do not come to HK until you get confirmation that your QMAS visa has been approved. Only a small percentage are approved and most of those who are turned down come from the Indian sub-continent (mainly because agents scam people who have no chance of being approved into applying, hence the skeptics here).

However, if your post is anything to go by, your English is not good enough to gain the points for QMAS, nor to get a job in a bank. If you are applying for HSBC Premier and such like, you need to speak excellent English, pretty much natively. You will be competing with high class candidates from the UK and other places and so without any Cantonese or Mandarin, you can only go for these jobs for which there will be significant competition.

In terms of call centres and the like, many HK companies outsource these to the Philippines as this is MUCH cheaper than having staff in HK undertake this role. And Filipinos speak excellent English.

So, your plan is looking a little shaky. See if you get your visa first. Then you can plan a trip here to suss out the opportunities. At worst it'll be a fun holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I'm reasonably certain you are being scammed.
    Agree with PDLM
    Last edited by shezad; 07-02-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xenium111:
    As i know that to get agood job in bank you just dont need cantonese because if you are a business or premier cust you should be knowing english and if that is the case where in people in hongkong do not know even simple english then for sure its not worth to move to this contry...i would rather prefer norway or denmark....
    I have to say if you presume hk as like any international western city with english as the first language, you are very wrong. Hk is an international city but populated with 95% chinese. English is the biz language but to truly connect with individuals on a personal level, u need the local lingo. If you expect the environment to suit u rather than the other way, I suggest a more english speaking city for yourself but you must have the relevant skills not readily available in that city. Otherwise there is no reason for the country to take you when there is local talent. Wish you luck.

Quote Originally Posted by xenium111:
    As i know that to get agood job in bank you just dont need cantonese because if you are a business or premier cust you should be knowing english and if that is the case where in people in hongkong do not know even simple english then for sure its not worth to move to this contry...i would rather prefer norway or denmark....
    think you are way off with this. I would guess that many (maybe even most) of the serious premier customers (many from mainland remember) either don't speak english or do speak but would prefer to do business in their native tongue.

cheers
    hello_there likes this.

I called HSBC to activate my credit card last night and the guy i spoke too spoke excellent English but he still put me through to another person in their 'dedicated English speaking team'.

They were both Chinese so i assume they still maintain their call centre here in HK, at least for advanced accounts.

dear giant likes this.

The post is clearly a wind up. Don't fall for this BS.

dear giant likes this.

Uhm..xenium111 I hate to break it to you, but unless you speak Norwegian or Danish there will be quite a lot of competition from other qualified applicants who speak the language in Norway and Denmark.

Do you have relatives in these countries?Perhaps they can explain the process to you?

I can inform you that it is considered as very important to speak the language in these countries, and (to the best of my knowledge) only expats posted from certain companies to handle the Danish or Norwegian offices can get away with only speaking English. And even then, they're expected to learn the language.

Also bear in mind tax rates from 40-50% (assume you're aiming at higher earning jobs).

And then finally the fact that both Denmark and Norway have some of the strictest immigration laws in Europe. Now I am not an immigration officer or anything, but you could find more information on websites like this:
    Residence and/or work permits
    Ministry of Foreign Affairs (NO) — Nordic cooperation

If you are serious then I would recomend you to visit the embassies of the countries that you are interested in to get a better idea. And stop wasting time on forums like this.

JaredHK and Drunken Master like this.

If i learn the basic cantonese...will it do for me to survive in HK