Best Gyms

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best Gyms

I'm planning my move to Hong Kong and am either going to be living in mid-levels or wanchai, where my office is. What are some of the better/best gyms in Hong Kong by mid-levels or wanchai? Are there any crossfit-like gyms out there?

Thanks!

There aren't any in the mid-levels that I'm aware of, but several not far away, including Pure, California Fitness, Seasons, Fitness First, ...

I've no idea what "crossfit" is. All of these gyms will give you the hard sell on long term, expensive membership commitments. You need to be a tough negotiator to get reasonable deals according to many reports in these forums (use search on the gym names to find many threads).

There is only one Crossfit outlet in Hong Kong as far as I know, they are near Taikoo MTR station.

CrossFit Asphodel

Thanks for the replies. Too bad Crossfits on the other side of the island...a 30 minute ride to the gym is always demotivating!

I looked through some of the older forums (2005) and got a perspective, but think things may have changed. What are the reputations of the gyms? Which ones can I go to and still have a good workout w/o having to wait in lines during peak hours? Which typically attract younger/older people? Are the ones that are more expensive really worth it - what more do they offer? If you're 23, completely new to hong kong, and prefer weights to cardio, which would you choose?

thanks

Crossfit is in Quarry Bay on the island - only like 6 or so stops from Wanchai. I have looked into going but never found the level of motivation needed.

Definitely possible to get a reasonably priced 12 month membership at California. I did it last week and got $4500 for the yr (platinum all clubs membership, quoted as about $7500 on their website) as well as 4 cinema tickets and $100 of haagen Das vouchers. Saying that, I had intended not to budge from $4000 for the yr!

Negotiate hard, it's fun!

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86
    Definitely possible to get a reasonably priced 12 month membership at California. I did it last week and got $4500 for the yr (platinum all clubs membership, quoted as about $7500 on their website) as well as 4 cinema tickets and $100 of haagen Das vouchers. Saying that, I had intended not to budge from $4000 for the yr!

Negotiate hard, it's fun!
    $35XX for the same membership this week. You need to bargain with these guys as they are desperate for business.

I recommend Fitness First or Seasons as CF is not that great and has a pretty bad reputation here in HK.
    Last edited by JaredHK; 13-02-2012 at 09:32 AM.

Wow 3500. Good negotiating sir. I got offered that for one club but needed all clubs. Oh well I'm happy with mine haha

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86
    Wow 3500. Good negotiating sir. I got offered that for one club but needed all clubs. Oh well I'm happy with mine haha
    The guy who got the deal flatly refused to pay more than $3500 and did not want to sign a contract for longer than a year.

I (and many old members) pay $88 a year (all clubs/all hours).

$88?!?!?! You what?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast