View Poll Results: With 7000 HKD/Month + House rent - Is it Good to move to Hongkong

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Can i Move

1 7.69%
  • No, not a good deal.

12 92.31%
Like Tree2Likes

Moving to Hongkong on PERDIEM - Plz Advice

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Moving to Hongkong on PERDIEM - Plz Advice

Hai Friends,

I have an offer to move to Hongkong. Iam being sent by my company on PERDIEM - daily allowance basis. Plz advice me in this:
    Self - 150 HKD, Dependent - 45 HKD, Travel 48 HKD / all per day.
    Apart from this, my company would provide the accomodation. But all other expenses should be born by me.

Would anyboby please advise: If this is enough to live cool in Hongkong.
    What would be the monthly expenses - Food/Electricity/Internet/Travel/Mobile & others.
    If not expecting more, how much can i save.

Howz the life style & stay in Hongkong.

Chaitanya...

that's completely insane! you are talking $20USD/day for salary!!!!! and your dependent won't even get $10/day!

totally, completely, uttlerly insane!

they want to pay you just over $500USD/month....

(1) NO WAY would you get a visa
    (2) NO WAY you would have much life with $4500 HKD/month (not including rent).

i'd say you'd be saving nothing and likely going into the hole every month.

they only folk (from overseas) who are on similar salary would be foreign domestic helpers, except they also get (1) food, (2) accomodations, (3) healthcare, & (4) flights home.

from the looks of things, you would be responsible for all of that stuff youself.

dear giant likes this.

Chaitanya, if you are being offered a per diem allowance this implies that you will continue to receive your existing salary in your home country/location. Is this correct? Are you willing to spend any of your salary or are you expecting/wanting to live only on your per diem allowance? How long will you be in HK for? Is this short term or long term?

We currently have two junior staff visiting HK for training for 8 weeks and my company provides them with accommodation (serviced studio with cooking and laundry facilities) and a per diem allowance of approx HKD 280. If they did not have cooking facilities, the per diem allowance would be approx 30% higher to cover eating out. They do not have any work related travel costs as their accommodation is wthin easy walking distance of the office.

if that is the case, then apologies. i did not understand that he may also receive his regular salary in addition to the per diem.

A per diem usually indicates an allowance for daily expenses. However, if you look at the poll posted, I think he means its a salary??

OP, you might need to clarify if this is only an allowance for daily expenses (in addition to a salary) or a salary in full.

Additional Info

Sorry Guys - If i have missed my complete Info...

Yes as many of you have said, The PERDIEM is for stay in Hongkong. & Trip is for roughly 2 years.

My India Salary would remain the same & the allowances specified in the Post are expenses per day. Also a Gud accommodation Costing 16000 HKD roughly would be provided by my Company.

Now Including this Info, Can you all Plz Advice further????

Last edited by Chaitu3178; 20-02-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Chaitanya, when I first came to hong kong, I came on perdiem as well, but I was getting 50 usd per day, plus accomodation in a service apartmet (including, cleaning, cable, electricity, internet). The apartment was close to work, 5 minutes by bus and 15 mins walking. I was alone and did not always cook at home, but didn't spend a lot on food outside either (though my drinking bill per week was high, it was still under my weekly perdiem limits).
    But, looks like you'll be having only 7000hkd and you'll have to take care of food for you and your wife/kids, electricity, water, cleaning(that means buying cleaning stuff too), cable, and internet. So I don't think it's very doable. Even if you walk to work every day(not possible most of the year due to humidity), eat in, and have no/close to no entertainment.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaitu3178:
    Sorry Guys - If i have missed my complete Info...

Yes as many of you have said, The PERDIEM is for stay in Hongkong. & Trip is for roughly 2 years.

My India Salary would remain the same & the allowances specified in the Post are expenses per day. Also a Gud accommodation Costing 16000 HKD roughly would be provided by my Company.

Now Including this Info, Can you all Plz Advice further????
    Two years on per diem sounds odd. I though per diems were only for short term assignments, a few months at most.

Surely this would be classed as working here without a visa? (sorry no PDLM around any more!)

No, I worked her for more than few months on a per diem basis and visa wasn't an issue (didn't work even for a day without correct visa).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast