Like Tree25Likes

Potential Move to Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Last week there was a moan about the annoying questions that are repeatedly asked here. Suddenly this guy pops up with 4 of the top 5...he's (not very cleverly) taking the piss...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using GeoClicks Mobile

shenwen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    That would be considered peanuts in HK for the financial industry or if you are a senior professional or partner in a accounting/law/consultancy firm. But I'm not in those fields, or to be more precise, no longer in those fields, so that amount is alot to me .
    I'm a partner in a consulting firm ... and similar to law firms how much you earn as partner is pretty strongly linked to what you sell/do - hence in a depressed economy it's somewhat lower than it used to be!

Actually I think Bryant and anothercanuck are spot on.

can someone give me a job for 150k a month in HK? i wont ask any stupid questions i promise, well, except for that one...

How can someone be on 150k HKD pm and not have 'an idea' of whether it is a good salary to 'pay bills etc' ?
    You'd think someone that earns that much would have the common sense that it is a good salary by the majority of people's expectations, expat or no expat.
    If they asked whether it was a good enough salary to have a great lifestyle....then that is a fair enough question but they said to 'pay bills etc' !

pepe77 and dctoki like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I'm a partner in a consulting firm ... and similar to law firms how much you earn as partner is pretty strongly linked to what you sell/do - hence in a depressed economy it's somewhat lower than it used to be!
    Not surprised, but at least you still got a job. To be fair, the ibankers who who can earn way more than $150,000 a month during the good times won't simply earn less during bad times, they won't earn anything at all (since they are usually the first ones to get fired when things start heading south).

My current job I'm sorry to say, don't command salaries of HK$150,000 per month, but then I don't really want to work 24/7 nonstop year in year out anymore, and I'm not ashamed to admit my wife earns way more than I do.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 22-02-2012 at 05:04 PM.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

To be fair, the ibankers who who can earn way more than $150,000 a month during the good times won't simply earn less during bad times, they won't earn anything at all (since they are usually the first ones to get fired when things start heading south).

Not really, most of the time the first ones to go are the juniors.
    mpermata likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Not really, most of the time the first ones to go are the juniors.
    Really? Well in my old company, the i-bankers are usually the first to get the slip when things don't go well. Also people in non-added value departments (e.g. IT support).

Really? Well in my old company, the i-bankers are usually the first to get the slip when things don't go well. Also people in non-added value departments (e.g. IT support).
    non-added value until the sytem crashes!!
    mpermata likes this.

Very often the top one save their heads one way or another in my experience.

Agree with the non-added value dept thing, which always makes me wonder....

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast