Like Tree208Likes

Would you let your husband move 2 months ahead of family?

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast

I was about to post a similar response as I also recall that thread.

I only know of 2 divorces in my lifetime and both were in the UK, so you could lump me into the lot of 0 expat divorces! but I don't see why the OP is seen as a troll by some people here. It is comments like that, that put posters from ever returning to their original thread.

Last edited by SiuMaiTaiTai; 07-03-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Original Post Deleted
    Different ppl run in different circles with different type of friends. I've been here 18 years. Seen plenty of deaths, births, accidents, marriages but no divorces. Plenty of my friends back home have gotten divorced, but not here.

Refering to earlier part of the thread : You're going to get different statistics when sampling the population in LKF vs the population of a DB ferry.

Maybe the OP has already decided she is not going to come to HK with her hubby and has thrown out the ultimatum - either you stay here or I am going to divorce you!

As with most things, "yes there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run..." I could see that a move to HK (or anywhere for that matter away from a home base) could strengthen an already well grounded, stable relationship. However, on the flip side, if the boats a rockin' before they get here the chances of capsizing surely increase! I myself am here (on this forum I mean) because I am now with an HK local who is looking to get back to her family for a while as shes been abroad for quite some time (down in Sydney and now up here in NE China). I know its going to be tough for me, but not for reasons aforementioned in this thread.

On the flip side some ex pat wives would put up with a lot of their husbands shit so they can maintain the tai tai lifestyle they've accustomed to.

Happy and broke or rich and miserable, a lot would choose the latter.

And there's the stigma amongst locals that you should never divorce as you lose face. So they end up putting up with there husbands shit.

Last edited by jimbo; 07-03-2012 at 03:02 PM.

What are you saying then TB? Do you think Howardcoombs, Mat and SS are lying?
    Jimbo - that reminds me, correction I only know of 1 divorcee in HK but she is a local lass, divorced from a local lad...screw that, stereotype!
    Although it did involve cheating with a mainlander...yes a mainlander I said it!

Fiona in HKG and Ramdom like this.

I racked my brains after that other thread. There was actually another Brit couple that I did know in Tokyo who divorced (so that makes 2) but they were on rocky ground and fighting regularly before they arrived. Since that other thread I now know a Kiwi couple but they separated 3 years back in NZ, in Tokyo they were the closest couple that knew and it was a total shock. Amicable though and they are still good friends. So a grand total of 3 out of a LOT of people!

I spent 4 years apart from my wife with about 3-4 vists a year so it's certainly doable for a couple. For a family I am not sure.

OP, don't want to have to worry about your hub cheating on you? Simple. Remind him of the divorce laws in HK for him. It's 50-50 split of assets. Ouch, that gotta hurt, not to mention being a nice deterrence to any married expat man who are tempted by some leggy women here in HK.

I on the other hand has been faithful thus far in my marriage, so why would I need to worry?

Last edited by Watercooler; 07-03-2012 at 03:30 PM.

I know alot of guys that pay for their girls (though not on a regular basis) and still have very happy and long marriages. Nothing wrong with that.

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast