Like Tree208Likes

Would you let your husband move 2 months ahead of family?

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast

I spent 4 years apart from my wife with about 3-4 vists a year so it's certainly doable for a couple. For a family I am not sure.

OP, don't want to have to worry about your hub cheating on you? Simple. Remind him of the divorce laws in HK for him. It's 50-50 split of assets. Ouch, that gotta hurt, not to mention being a nice deterrence to any married expat man who are tempted by some leggy women here in HK.

I on the other hand has been faithful thus far in my marriage, so why would I need to worry?

Last edited by Watercooler; 07-03-2012 at 03:30 PM.

I know alot of guys that pay for their girls (though not on a regular basis) and still have very happy and long marriages. Nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    I know alot of guys that pay for their girls (though not on a regular basis) and still have very happy and long marriages. Nothing wrong with that.
    That's assuming the wife is alright with that particular arrangement. In some cases yes, in most cases no. Hence that is why many divorce lawyers are enjoying such brisk business.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 07-03-2012 at 03:40 PM.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    I racked my brains after that other thread.
    Don't.

If TBs figures are correct and on average 2 out of ten marriages of couples in your age group end in divorce and most people know, for example, 20 couples then it is entirely to be expected that within a sample group there would be a number of people who know the average 4 couples who divorce, some who know none, some who know 8, some who know 12 and so on. The statistics summarise reality, they don't generate it.

Add that we're not actually talking about marriages that end in divorce but rather couples who divorce during the period you have known them and also the fact that we are talking about human beings who will cluster in all sorts of human ways in addition to the clustering inherent in random samples and there's really nothing very surprising going on at all.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    ... you need a very small or lucky group of acquaintances not to have any of them with marriage failures.
    Within a random sample of people it is entirely to be expected that some would have a very small group of acquaintances, some a very large group, some a very 'lucky' group and some a very 'unlucky' group.

Damn! HK must be a dream place for divorce lawyers.

OP, I don't think you have anything to worry about, as long as you love & trust each other.
    Yes, there are temptations, and men given a freebie would like to use it. BUT, I have known few who do not go for such escapades, and instead choose to steer clear of them. For example a friend of mine who moved here from down under, moved alone to set up home and his wife joined him after 2 months or so. He did visit LKF, wanchai and even went to the girlie bars one night with us to see what the brouhaha all about, but, despite of being piss-drunk he was very proper, wouldn't even say any nasty/dirty thing about any of the working ladies. So, it all boils down to the persons and their relationships, how scared the marriage is etc.
    Some people are like lotus, which stay beautiful despite of being surrounded by mud...or diamond in a stack of coal.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    So, it all boils down to the persons and their relationships, how scared the marriage is etc. [...]
    Oops! Typos... You mean 'scarred', don't ya?
    OR, is it 'scared'?

Some people are like lotus, which stay beautiful despite of being surrounded by mud...or diamond in a stack of coal.
    Again, pure pearls o' wisdom there, Guns.

(Mind you methinks there's a lot of sweat & tears involved, too. And much LESS of this airy fairy lotus stuff.)
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

My money's on sacred.

gunsnroses likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dipper:
    My money's on sacred.
    Dips - I knew that.

Couldn't help but have a crack at that one.

First dibs...

Good posts from Dips & Guns.

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast