Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Proplus
  • 1 Post By MsPoppins

Making the move.....

Making the move.....

Hi all,

I have today recieved a job offer from a major travel agency and their Hong Kong office for a full time position with them and I'm really looking for event the most basic of advice to determine whether a move to HK, on these terms and conditions, would be the right - and do-able - thing?

The job comes with :

- Two weeks paid accommodation to begin with to give me time to settle in and find somewhere to live long-term
    - Flight out to HK
    - Guaranteed salary of $23k a month for first three months to get used to the market, systems etc
    - Salary thereafter of $16k, with uncapped earnings potential but minimum OTE of $23k
    - Office in Wan Chai
    - Visa etc sorted

Now, I've spent a lot of time in HK in a previous life and I like the CWB/WC area so I'd ideally look at living there.

I'd hopefully come to HK with £20k+ 'in my pocket' as a back up, but I'd ideally not touch any of it.

In the UK I'm in a job I don't enjoy all that much and it's well beneath where I should be. However, it's with a big, international company and there are prospects for moving on - potentially internationally (which is what I'm after). But there are no guarantees of this happening. So this opportunity to go to HK might be the best shot I have of getting out there.

On the off chance things don't work out with the employer I'm going there to work with, what's the deal with the visa? Would I be able to use the visa to look for work with another company, perhaps in an entirely different sector?

And can you eventually go for perm. residency / citizenship?

Thanks so much ,
    EMcC

You'll need hit 7 years for citizenship.

You cannot transfer the visa to other jobs. You can however look for another job that will sponsor you another working visa.

You will be dipping into your stash of £20k, as you will have to pay for daily life whilst there, and because you will not be paid until the end of the month, when you do find a property to rent, expect to pay 3 x monthly rent up front.

EddyMcCheddy likes this.

HK$23k is not a lot in HK. Accommodation can be expensive and so can going out. If you like eating western foods that is also expensive.

People work much longer hours here which means less work life balance. The good things are that you can travel in Asia but it is not that cheap. I would look at this as a short term deal travel Asia for 1-2 years then come back, it's all about money here

Wouldn't it be better to try to get transferred overseas as expat, even if you have to wait a little? Or to look for similar job in Thailand or Philippines where cost of living is lower? Honestly 23k and then a reduction to 16k! That's the first time I have ever heard of a job that will lower your income after "probation"! Also are you alone of will you be supporting someone else too?

Satay Sue likes this.

You are probably going to need to use some of your fallback cash. When you rent somewhere they usually ask for a month's rent in advance PLUS 2 months as deposit. 16K really is a low salary....

Quote Originally Posted by MsPoppins:
    That's the first time I have ever heard of a job that will lower your income after "probation"! Also are you alone of will you be supporting someone else too?
    Actually, in sales it's quite normal and respects the idea that you need time to suss out the market build up a pipeline of clients......the OP needs to have confidence that he can he make enough sales to earn enough commission to earn his required salary after the pipeline period.

Quote Originally Posted by EddyMcCheddy:
    - Two weeks paid accommodation to begin with to give me time to settle in and find somewhere to live long-term
    With only two weeks paid accommodation, your options are either a hotel or hostel. What is the budget they are giving you for the two weeks? Most serviced apartments have a min stay of 1 month at the very least.

They'll book me a hotel. So I won't get a choice of where I stay. They say they'll give me a week at first and extend it further if I need it. But they say that most people sort out somewhere to live very, very quickly.

Soeone on another forum posted this :

Quote Originally Posted by gumtree:
    Could try staying in one of the serviced apartments below (in Causeway Bay) and then find other places to move to once you're settled in fine with the job.
    www.studiostudio.com.hk
    EmpireStudio - youR iDeal homE in Hong Kong
    And this interests me greatly. These apartments look nice (albeit a little small) and the prices seem reasonable considering they're serviced.

Are they a viable option for a long-term place to stay ?