Like Tree1Likes

Freelance Writing Work in HK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I understand what you are saying, but as a fresh arrival in HK without any writing experience here, it may take a while to build up a career in writing. Like you said, the mainstays have been doing it for 20 years, they already have their foot in the door in the industry and probably know a lot of people. For a new comer, not sure if it is realistic to expect to take in $35K for freelance writing right off the bat.

Mrs Merlot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maracas Bay:
    I understand what you are saying, but as a fresh arrival in HK without any writing experience here, it may take a while to build up a career in writing. Like you said, the mainstays have been doing it for 20 years, they already have their foot in the door in the industry and probably know a lot of people. For a new comer, not sure if it is realistic to expect to take in $35K for freelance writing right off the bat.
    I dnt agree with you and you are wrong !

I know how they started here, a couple of them were ex Editor and Chiefs of UK newspapers or published photo journalists before they arrived here in their late 20's and were earning excellent salaries even back then, when they arrived here in the HKG.

Even a lowly paid cadet journalist for an Australian newspaper would earn double what you mentioned. Which I think is bad for the industry if that's all they are willing to pay.

There are much better places globally to kick start a career if that's the current scene in HK for scribes...

Maracas Bay and Skyhook, thanks for taking the time to share your opinions and even though they differ, it's good to know that there is writing work available. $15,000 would be far to low for me though, as Skyhook says it devalues the entire industry to work for such poor rates but I understand when you're starting out it can be necessary to build your portfolio. I have a decent body of work behind me though so would definitely be hoping for more like $35K. I'm now planning on taking a trip over to HK next month to get a better feel for things, hopefully I can make some contacts and move over permanently later in the year.
    Thanks again for the advice!
    Lee

Bring that body of work with you and pop in and visit Susan Field c/- Impact Asia impactasia.com PR Agency | Hong Kong Singapore Beijing Shanghai , she's connected to majority of the mainstay writing fraternity of HKG, you never know where it might lead

Impact Asia would be a good port to call on, dropping off your detailed CV with any work that has been previously published, wont hurt.

Go about this in a professional manner, and you might just get a worthy foot in the door.

Good luck, Lee...

Last edited by Skyhook; 08-04-2012 at 09:25 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2