Like Tree4Likes

Dog (and Cat) Friendly Areas in Hong Kong

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    Yes, that's right.

Many estates also have resident shuttle buses which go to defined places (Central, the airport and the local mtr station are key candidates) which have the advantage of clear timetables and 100% seating.

Sorry if i was rude earlier, I took "metro" to mean "metro area (ie centre)" not "metro" as in "transport system". Once I'd typed out the original response I didn't hav e time to replace it with the one about buses being just as convenient as MTR. As background, I have tried to explain this to a number of folks in the past, and they just say things like "oh I don't catch buses" with a superior look as though people who rely on buses are some kind of lesser species. Doesn't really bother me - reality is better than perception any day - but it gets kind of wearing if you type the same advice day in and day out ......
    When my American husband first arrived and realised a car was totally out of the question, I went over the options with him....taxi, MTR, bus, minibus, ferry, etc. His first response was that 'buses are for poor people' so I guess there is some sort of taboo about taking a bus when you should be able to afford a car in the US?

Anywho, he's a firm believer in the bus system now

The bus might be for the poor in many countries, its certainly not the case in Hong Kong.
    I've personally known *many* multi-millionaires (far more than I will have this lifetime) on the buses. My favorite is an 80 year old mini property magnate who takes the tram daily.

Last edited by HowardCoombs; 29-03-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Sorry if i was rude earlier, I took "metro" to mean "metro area (ie centre)" not "metro" as in "transport system".
    Moron!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile
    MovingIn07 likes this.

Yes, that's right.

Many estates also have resident shuttle buses which go to defined places (Central, the airport and the local mtr station are key candidates) which have the advantage of clear timetables and 100% seating.

Sorry if i was rude earlier, I took "metro" to mean "metro area (ie centre)" not "metro" as in "transport system". Once I'd typed out the original response I didn't hav e time to replace it with the one about buses being just as convenient as MTR. As background, I have tried to explain this to a number of folks in the past, and they just say things like "oh I don't catch buses" with a superior look as though people who rely on buses are some kind of lesser species. Doesn't really bother me - reality is better than perception any day - but it gets kind of wearing if you type the same advice day in and day out ......
    No worries at all. Thanks for the apology.

I've encountered the haughty anti-bus type as well. Vancouver is still fighting negative transit stereotypes and trying to get our transit system even more widely used. I'm very much looking forward to a more complex and (likely) efficient system than what I've been using for years to get around here. Our bus system is especially bad at night. Since Hong Kong seems to come alive at night, are the busses still frequent after midnight? Other than Kowloon, we're also looking at Pok Fu Lam with its proximity to the country parks there (with what appears to be numerous busses servicing this area).

With regards to living in Kowloon or Pok Fu Lam, I have been having a difficult time finding out which of these parks is dog friendly, as the only parks I've been able to find listed as Dog Friendly are from this website:

Essential Animal Information for Pets in Hong Kong - AngloINFO Hong Kong (China)

Does anyone know of an updated list is available, or if you can walk your dogs in the other parks anyway, and they just have to be on leash? I've read that people walk their dogs in Pok Fu Lam Country Park, but not sure of the protocols.

AIP

Woof Guide - Directory - Parks & Beaches

You can find dog friendly parks and beaches here

Quote Originally Posted by bestbuddyali
    I researched a little about Pokfulam, but how difficult is it to get to the metro from there? Are there a lot of busses? I did think about the upper mid-levels and Happy Valley too.

Do they allow dogs in all the country parks? I tried to find a list.
    There are plenty of busses (both the big citybusses and minibusses) that run (frequently) from Pokfulam to Central and other parts of HK.

All country parks allow dogs - including offleash dogs, provided that they are well behaved/ under control. Most city parks do not allow dogs at all.

Here is a list of HK country parks:

AFCD Country Parks

And a list of the city parks (they call them "dog gardens" and some are quite small) that allow dogs:

http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/lsb/en/districts.php?ftid=47

There is a small park in upper happy valley that is used as an informal dog run and after dark you see dogs around the racecourse. There are also steps from upper Happy Valley that take you straight to Tai Tam Country Park if you want a longer walk. I personally like Happy Valley because it is close to everything, but still has a neighborhood feel.

Pokfulam is nice too and a number of areas in Pokfulam have direct access to Pokfulam country park and there is a big grass area in front of Cyberport where people take their dogs for a run. But the area is more spread out and there are fewer places (really not many at all except Cyberport) that you can walk to to have something to eat or to shop. It is beautiful though with all the greenery.
    Last edited by hello_there; 03-04-2012 at 10:39 AM.
    bestbuddyali likes this.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by hello_there
    There are plenty of busses (both the big citybusses and minibusses) that run (frequently) from Pokfulam to Central and other parts of HK.

All country parks allow dogs - including offleash dogs, provided that they are well behaved/ under control. Most city parks do not allow dogs at all.

Here is a list of HK country parks:

AFCD Country Parks

And a list of the city parks (they call them "dog gardens" and some are quite small) that allow dogs:

Leisure and Cultural Services Department

There is a small park in upper happy valley that is used as an informal dog run and after dark you see dogs around the racecourse. There are also steps from upper Happy Valley that take you straight to Tai Tam Country Park if you want a longer walk. I personally like Happy Valley because it is close to everything, but still has a neighborhood feel.

Pokfulam is nice too and a number of areas in Pokfulam have direct access to Pokfulam country park and there is a big grass area in front of Cyberport where people take their dogs for a run. But the area is more spread out and there are fewer places (really not many at all except Cyberport) that you can walk to to have something to eat or to shop. It is beautiful though with all the greenery.
    This is fantastic and really gives us a good idea of the areas we're looking at. We thought of Happy Valley but figured it might be too busy for Rufus (our dog). But if it's that close to Tai Tam Country Park (upper Happy Valley at least) then we'll put that back in the running. I think it'll just take the right Agent showing us around to get a real feel for the neighbourhoods. But it's nice to come into the game with some good info to start. Cheers and thanks so much!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3