Like Tree4Likes

Dog (and Cat) Friendly Areas in Hong Kong

Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    19

    Question Dog (and Cat) Friendly Areas in Hong Kong

    Hi everyone,

    My husband and I just got married and due to a job offer we are planning to move to Hong Kong by August this year (2012). I'm excited but one of my main concerns is finding a good place for not only us but also our two (neutered) pets. Our dog is not much larger than our cat and both are extremely well behaved. Naturally there are places that don't allow dogs and some that do, but the proximity to transit (we won't want a car) and also to green space is what we're mostly looking for.

    I've seen numerous posts in this vein, but most seem to be years old.

    Can anyone recommend good places to live that are dog friendly on Hong Kong Island or in Kowloon? We don't want to be too far from all the fun for the first couple years (so Discovery Bay is out).

    Thanks so much in advance.

    Best,
    Alice


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    a sunny un spoilt paradise
    Posts
    7,183

    If Discovery Bay is out.....

    Then I would suggest the following area's providing you can afford $15K - $20K+ per month rent.....

    Kowloon side..

    Whampoa Gardens ie Laguna Verde
    Mong Kok around Cox's road right by Kowloon Cricket Club
    Kowloon Tong around Broadcast Drive...


    HK Island......

    Happy Valley
    Sheung Wan
    Western District / Kennedy Town
    Braemar Hill
    North Point
    Quarry Bay
    Tai Koo
    Causeway Bay
    Wan Chai
    SoHo / LoHo
    Lan Kwai Fong
    Mid levels
    Tai Hang
    Pok Fu Lam
    Aberdeen / Ap Lei Chau
    Shek O < might be a bit far if DB is deemed far for you..

    How long is a piece of string, really lol.....

    Last edited by Skyhook; 28-03-2012 at 08:05 AM.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tsim Sha Tsui
    Posts
    3,988
    Quote Originally Posted by bestbuddyali
    Naturally there are places that don't allow dogs and some that do, but the proximity to transit (we won't want a car) and also to green space is what we're mostly looking for.
    Where will you be working?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3

    Hi there!

    Don't worried about this..In Hong Kong & Kowloon side some domestic apartment is allow with dogs. Just keep clean and dong master behavior...you can try to find developer...Sun Hung Kai's properties


  5. #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gold Coast Marina
    Posts
    17,955
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmd7265
    Hi there!

    Don't worried about this..In Hong Kong & Kowloon side some domestic apartment is allow with dogs. Just keep clean and dong master behavior...you can try to find developer...Sun Hung Kai's properties
    Do you enjoy posting rubbish on these threads? 3 posts in 3 threads with equally banal and/or inaccurate information.

    A LOT of places do not allow pets. While cats are easier to "smuggle in" dogs are much harder as they have to be walked.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,561

    Skyhook's list is a quite good general list. I would strike off most parts of Causeway Bay, however, as a supercrowded, polluted and loud concrete jungle. For access to greenery, Pokfulam, parts of the Mid-Levels, upper Happy Valley and Tai Hang, parts of Braemar Hill and Shek-O are your best bets as they have access to "country park" areas within walking distance. In Mid-Levels East (around Bowen Road) there is a notorious dog poisoner who strikes up to a few times a year and I personally wouldn't chance living there, although Bowen Path is ideal for dog walking.

    Also, check with airlines early regarding flight policies for pets - some will not accept animals as cargo during the summer months into HK.


  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tsim Sha Tsui
    Posts
    3,988
    Quote Originally Posted by hello_there
    Also, check with airlines early regarding flight policies for pets - some will not accept animals as cargo during the summer months into HK.
    And some will not accept certain breeds. I was told I had to book my flight first to receive a reference number, with which I needed to book my dog into manifest cargo. So off I went and booked with Cathay Pacific, only to be told afterwards they will not take my breed of dog (King Charles Cavalier Spaniel), something to do with its short nose and difficulty breathing in the cargo hold. Apparently now I don't need the bloody reference number as the dog is on a BA flight arriving 2 hours before I do.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    19

    I do not yet have a job, but my husband is a pilot. So its best to be close to the metro just to make our lives easier.


  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by hello_there
    Skyhook's list is a quite good general list. I would strike off most parts of Causeway Bay, however, as a supercrowded, polluted and loud concrete jungle. For access to greenery, Pokfulam, parts of the Mid-Levels, upper Happy Valley and Tai Hang, parts of Braemar Hill and Shek-O are your best bets as they have access to "country park" areas within walking distance. In Mid-Levels East (around Bowen Road) there is a notorious dog poisoner who strikes up to a few times a year and I personally wouldn't chance living there, although Bowen Path is ideal for dog walking.

    Also, check with airlines early regarding flight policies for pets - some will not accept animals as cargo during the summer months into HK.
    I have heard of this Bowen Road dog poisoner too. Over the last 18 years or something?? That's terrible!

    I researched a little about Pokfulam, but how difficult is it to get to the metro from there? Are there a lot of busses? I did think about the upper mid-levels and Happy Valley too.

    Do they allow dogs in all the country parks? I tried to find a list.

    I guess an agent would the best way to find the right areas for us, as we can give them what we want for our wish list and hopefully they can just show us what's available. We're hoping to spend not much more than $25,000 for rent.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gold Coast Marina
    Posts
    17,955
    Quote Originally Posted by bestbuddyali
    I do not yet have a job, but my husband is a pilot. So its best to be close to the metro just to make our lives easier.
    In what ways easier? What are you thinking you can do in the "metro" (whatever that means, given that most of HK is built up) that you cannot do elsewhere? HK is not like the USA - there are shops, restaurants, post offices, banks, transport, sports facilities... everything really, ALL OVER the place. Not just "in the centre".

    EDIT - just realised she means the MTR. Duh. Another idiot from abroad who has no idea what a well functioning bus system can do. Can't be bothered to refute that one too.
    Last edited by MovingIn07; 29-03-2012 at 09:35 AM.

Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast