Like Tree4Likes

Lawn Bowls

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lawn Bowls

Hello!

I just found out I will be moving to HK in June! I have been trying to research where I will be bowling and have quickly found out it isn't cheap. Including housing I will be grossing 100k/mo. But our goal is to try to save some money in the long run.

It looks like in general a sporting membership is the most economic... does that mean that I am restricted to that sport and not use of the rest of the club's facilities?

Thanks!!!

Check out Kowloon bowling green club

It costs HK$53 to play for an hour at the public bowling green in Victoria Park. If you earn HK$100,000 pm, split the cost between 4 players and play once a week that means you'll be down to your last HK$99,947 after paying for your expensive lawn bowls habit.

Trebor and LizzyL like this.

Thanks, Dumbdonkey. KBGC doesn't list a price on their site but when I get over there I will look in to it..

Dipper... a game takes longer than an hour... and I play at a very competitive level and would like to be challenged. I will ignore the rest of the sarcasm.

Multiply the hourly rate by the number of hours you wish to play.

There are many teams in the competitive league, you can play at a club which plays on public greens or at a fancy-schmanzy expensive club as per your preferences and/or finances and everywhere inbetween. Since your initial post suggested that you thought it was expensive and you were concerned about the cost I outlined how inexpensive it could be. Here is the complete list of clubs in the HKLBA league: Member Clubs, take your pick.

The Indian Recreation Club, for example, is mid-range in terms of price has a joining fee of HK$2000 for Indian members and HK$12,000 for non-Indian members and a monthly subscription of HK$500 (this is for full club membership). You can join cheaper or more expensive clubs as per your preferences.

I have ignored your attitude problem and lack of a sense of humour

HowardCoombs and gunsnroses like this.

Thanks for the follow up Dipper...
    I didn't know that some clubs play on public greens, or that there are that many public greens.
    What I meant by expensive was places like CCC for 300k.

I have seen the HKLBA website but I am having trouble finding out more info on the clubs listed... Do you mind sharing where I might be able research them more? I tried google for places like Victoria LBC and couldn't even come up with a location.

can we be friends?

Quote Originally Posted by superpilot:

can we be friends?
    I don't think so, Dippy dipper is very specific, and unless you play soccer, it's gonna be uphill task, I am still counting the number of people who are in queue waiting to be accepted as his friend.

I know zip about lawn bowls or players' clubs, but there's a public green in Tuen Mun, less than 10 minutes walk from the ferry pier (a 15 minute ferry ride from Tung Chung, near the airport) ...

Do you have any Chinese-literate friends who can help you find more club info? In line with general population statistics here, the people playing are likely to be about 95% Chinese, so I would also expect the greater part of information on the net also to be Chinese language.

Quote Originally Posted by dipper:
    It costs HK$53 to play for an hour at the public bowling green in Victoria Park. If you earn HK$100,000 pm, split the cost between 4 players and play once a week that means you'll be down to your last HK$99,947 after paying for your expensive lawn bowls habit.
    Although he did say he was grossing 100k so your calculations are most likely inaccurate [/pedant]

this from USRC - handy and well priced if you choose to live in Kowloon

2. Sports Subscription

For avid sports competitors with family /Junior (15 to 21 yrs)

This scheme is open to avid competitors in the specified sports category. Supervision is carried out in co-operation with the relevant sport convenor;
    At the end of four years term, sports member may take up a Full Ordinary Membership with no additional transfer charges or continue on as a sports member;
    Annual joining fee of HK$8,800 (non-refundable);
    Monthly subscription at HK$500;
    Available for tennis, squash, lawn bowls, football & cricket, etc;
    Applicant and his/her spouse and dependants are entitled to the full use of Club facilities;
    Junior applicant and his/her family are entitled to the full use of Club facilities;
    Non-voting right;
    Non-user of reciprocal clubs;
    Guest policy of two guests at one time for sports facilities.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast