Like Tree4Likes

Sheng Zheng

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    pick pocketing in hk is world renowned???? seriously?
    guess i've been lucky then... 17 years and not been pick pocketed once.
    Yea but you hang out in the boonies :-)
    I hang out in the city, MongKong, CWB, TST - all crowded areas and never been picked in 18 years. I'm sure it does happen, but I dont think its all that common to be labelled world renowned. I found 2 lists and neither of them show Hong Kong in the top 10. I think the OP has been fed some misinformation.
    TripAdvisor Reveals World's Worst Pickpocket Destinations
    10 Worst Cities For Pickpockets (PHOTOS)

Here are some random Futien videos from youtube:

ShuiWei - YouTube

Seafood market in Shenzhen (1080P) - YouTube

shen zhen street - YouTube

shenzhen futian CBD - YouTube

Shenzhen's Futian District, China -- a walk through part of it - YouTube

And to answer your pollution question, if you are afraid of pollution don't go to Shenzhen. Hong Kong is very polluted and we are all suffering every day. But Shenzhen is much worse.

Last edited by 100LL; 01-04-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Yea but you hang out in the boonies :-)
    I hang out in the city, MongKong, CWB, TST - all crowded areas and never been picked in 18 years. I'm sure it does happen, but I dont think its all that common to be labelled world renowned. I found 2 lists and neither of them show Hong Kong in the top 10. I think the OP has been fed some misinformation.
    TripAdvisor Reveals World's Worst Pickpocket Destinations
    10 Worst Cities For Pickpockets (PHOTOS)
    howard, i haven't always hung out in the boonies... there was a time, when a week wasn't complete with at least 3-4 nights out on the town in wanchai, TST etc.... i was never much into LKF, too many stuffy banker types for my liking.

i moved here as a single, 22 year old woman... and have only ONCE felt unsafe (4am in chungking mansions-- i was coming home, which was CK mansions at that time, from waiting tables at a pub in tst). don't think hk has changed that much since back then...

aha! pardon the ignorance. learn something new everyday.

well, I have been to China back in 2005. I was in Hunan, the most southern part of China. I also have been to HK 2x. HK is nice. Shenzhen i have never been. since its a newly developed area i wonder about its environment and way of living. the office is there and i think housing as well.

I remembered the first thing I saw when I got off the plane and walked into the arrival area were several huge posters that said "be careful of pick pockets". i have known people who had that happened to them when they were in HK. That of course doesn't make HK a world renown place for pick pockets. But it seems to be one of the first warning from people whenever I run into either people who lived or visited HK.

China was pretty bad when I was in Hunan. Walking down a super market and before we knew it my sister's bag had a huge slit which was created by a knife.

so your definition of "crime" is drive by shooting, illegal drug activities, etc. the higher type of crime. so those types of crimes in Futian are worst than in HK. hmm.....good to know.

to be able to fly there for a visit sounds great except i don't have that luxury financially nor time. i have to give my answer if I want to take this opportunity by this coming Monday, US pacific standard time, which gives me a day to find out as much as I can. i know its crazy.

thanks for the links. I will check them out now.

Last edited by vook; 01-04-2012 at 11:34 AM.

vook are you purposely being obtuse?

i was comparing those types of crime in hk to the good ol' us of a.

i don't know what crime is like in SZ, but chances are the worst you would encounter would be pick pockets.

if you come here looking to recreate your current lifestyle, then forget it. you'll absolutely hate it. if you come here for an adventure, then chances are you will enjoy it. it's all in the attitude, of which you seem to have plenty. you should be ok.

ps> Hunan is not the southern most part of china.... guangdong, guangxi and hainan island are south of it.

carang, sorry I thought you were comparing crimes between HK and shenzhen.

well moving to any foreign place is an adventure no doubt.

I guess it also depends what you would give up to move to SZ. If you are jobless, don't have to pull out children from their environment to drag them all the way to China, why not. If you don't like it you can always go back to where you came from.

Tell us what salary range you will get and what your housing allowance is (if any), and we can probably tell you a few things to expect.

Ie. if you tell me it's US$ 10k/month and the company will provide a nice flat and you are single, I can already tell you that you will like it. If it's US$ 3k/months and no housing allowance or just a shared flat with a couple of other expats, it looks completely different. If you have kids it makes everything more complicated.

Also, is this something you'd do temporarily for a year or two and then go back?

Last edited by 100LL; 01-04-2012 at 12:06 PM.

I was watching one of the links provided by 100LL. There was a clip of a Chinese news 2011 report saying that Shenzhen is becoming more and more like its neighbor HK when it comes to pick pocket. The reporter warn to be really careful with your belongings when in Shenzhen.

Honestly, I have never heard anything about pickpocketing in HK (except what you hear everywhere, to be careful) and I too have been here for more than 10 years and traveled around quite a lot. I hear what you are saying, but I am as surprised as the others.

But for SZ, I have first hand experience and I have friends with bad experience too. I was stuck in SZ for a week since they stole my wallet/passport. Once they also smashed my friends car window (small lousy rusty old Chinese made car) probably because they saw a foreigner getting out of it, and they stole my backpack that was under the seat.

Last edited by 100LL; 01-04-2012 at 12:19 PM.

housing is $700/mo USD. its part of the relocation package. i don't think i will be sharing the apartment.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast