27 year old female moving to HK- Looking to Teach English

Closed Thread
  1. #1

    27 year old female moving to HK- Looking to Teach English

    Hi All,

    I've been reading this forum for quite a while and gaining a lot of useful information so thank you. I'm more specifically wondering what my options/chances are of teaching in HK? I''m moving in May to join my husband who has taken a job there. I have a dependent Visa, BA degree, have some classroom experience (not a lot), and will have a TESOL certification very soon.

    I've been looking consistently for teaching jobs so wondering if some of you could point me in the right direction? Any tips would be very helpful.

    Thanks everyone

  2. #2

    I think getting hired as an Elta or a TA is your best bet but unfortunately a lot of these jobs are by word of mouth and through contacts. You can try Scmp and if you read Chinese MingPo advertises a lot of teaching positions though those are geared towards the locals mostly. Looking at school websites would be another option and I would probably start off with ESF websites.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Tuen Mun

    As you will be on a dependent's visa you will have a number of options open to you, including that of being a TA at an international school (keep your eye on scmp.com classifieds at this time of year). You could also tutor privately, or work in a kindergarten or language centre - but if you choose one of those, then for heaven's sake do your Due Diligence beforehand: there are some good ones, but others which offer killer hours (think 40+ contact hours as well as preparation time) at very low rates of pay.

  4. #4

    Thanks for your replies. Do you know of any centres off hand that I should stay away from? I do have an interview lined up at one so want to make sure it's reputable. I'll definitley check out that website too as I've never heard of it. Thanks for the help