Like Tree30Likes

finding work in hk

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I did think much the same.
    ...as did I. It seems she has a work visa for working in a bar (surprising) but if so it would be a reasonably simple process to change sponsor to work in the hotel with a relatively high chance of success.

Something isn't right somewhere...am sure we'll hear more soon.

She really does have a work visa for a bar job? Does anyone else have trouble believing that?

entertainment visa?

working as a waitress apparently....

There is no way in hell this woman has a normal work visa. I couldn't get one for our admin staff who had 10 years of experience with the company and dealing with us (the main thing she had that no local could possibly have) because administration is such a standardized job they thought a local could do it. Waitressing? No chance.

My guess is this ... paid a fixer for the current job .. he got her a DH visa or perhaps an entertainment visa and told her the job was legit and she believes it is. She now believes that to get her new job she has to pay a fixer another fee for the next one.

I hope I'm wrong but this stuff makes my blood boil.

carang and Satay Sue like this.

I am convinced this poor woman has been duped and I hope OP checks everything out properly. Good luck OP, I hope somehow that we are all wrong....

shane1977 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    "but waiting tables sucks, paywise... i know, i did it for 2-3 years many, many moons ago.
    Really? I did the same while in College, just to show my parents that they don't need to work hard for me to earn a degree. And it all paid off... Tiring, yes, but totally rewarding.

I think in not as many moons ago, though. : )

Quote Originally Posted by ExpatNeighbor:
    Really? I did the same while in College, just to show my parents that they don't need to work hard for me to earn a degree. And it all paid off... Tiring, yes, but totally rewarding.

I think in not as many moons ago, though. : )
    i waited tables in hk from 1995-1998 off and on. the pay was $30-35/hour + tips. tips were shared with all staff working on the shift so that bartenders wouldn't get stiffed. but it was a british pub, so tips sucked (brits don't tip... neither do most chinese or aussies).

when you compare to tutoring english (which i also did at the time), i earned $250/hour back then.... now if i were to tutor again, i wouldn't do it for less than $600/hour.

as for my university degree.... i didn't expect my parents to pay for it. i paid for it. as it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by shane1977:
    she hasn't entered into it yet. my main concern is that it is legit and the only reason i can think for a down payment is because she will need a 2 yr work permit. it is driving me crazy the more i think about it. thanks for your advice, your correct and we both need to discuss it seriously.
    A clear scam so don't go for it. Both you and your wife. The so called "down payment" is acceptable to some Filipinos (sad to say) because some of them actually pay recruitment agents an equivalent of two to three times their salary (to be) so that their application can be prioritized. This is due to the high unemployment rate in the country. As the OP wrote it, better than nothing.

@OP - I haven't seen a Black British before. Forgive my ignorance, surely you must be British...
    shane1977 likes this.