Like Tree30Likes

finding work in hk

Reply
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6
  1. #51

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    kwai chung nt hk
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    i have never heard of a work contract that requires a "down payment"... am i missing something here? or is he referring to the deposit on a flat?
    well as far as i knw apply a job frm agency and they might ask as what its called placement fees..some went tru agencies frm d count ry of origin..but d more u have qualities as a worker the more job u cn get here hk.

  2. #52

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sai Kung
    Posts
    8,561

    really... is there a reason people cannot write properly? do they not realise how difficult it is to read text-talk?

    if you need such an "agency" you should not try to work overseas. if you are qualified and experienced you will not have problems getting a visa through the legal channels.

    it is a SCAM to relieve you of your hard-earned money.

    if you are unqualified and inexperienced, you will NOT be granted a work visa in hk. there are no "back doors".

    if you are foolish enough to fall for such a scam after being warned, i have no sympathy for you. however, i do have sympathy for the unworldly-folks out there that don't know any better, as per moving07's post.


  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    It's not crazy, it's a scam. In the Philippines it's very common to pay a "fixer" to get stuff done. Perhaps, for example, you need to get a new passport - well if you use the normal process it might take ages or never get done. So you pay someone to "fix" the problem and they get your passport in less time. (not sure if my passport example is true, it's a general theme though
    Actually, there's some truth in your post as there are indeed fixers who approach people to "fix" their problems. However, those who fall victims to such illegal activities are people who are lazy enough not to do a research on how to get what they need in the proper and legal manner. The passport example above is something which I could not relate to, as I got mine nearly 5 years ago and it was relatively easy to obtain it in the normal and legal process. By the way, I asked my sister to get a passport so that she can join my wife and kids on their next visit here before the classes resume on June. She applied on the 10th and was expecting it on the 19th, but when I called her, she already had it delivered at home on the 18th. She had to pay an additonal fee for the delivery but it's just something less than HK$30, the average delivery charge in the country. Also, the transportation cost is nearly the same if she chose to get it by herself.

    I think the passport problem occurred some years ago when it was switched to the machine readable ones, but now it's back to normal.

  4. #54

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    beverley united kingdom
    Posts
    7

    The vary thing was a typo,sorry i meant very but i always miss spell. the more i hear about fixers the more it sounds like that's what's going on with her friend. maybe her friend is in on the scam? we will never know because my wife has distanced herself from the friend after she kept asking about the contract but not giving any details about the employer. my wife has booked her flight home already and has transferred all her money into her philippines bank account except for living expenses so she can't be cheated out of all her earnings before she returns home.


  5. #55

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    2,207
    Quote Originally Posted by mary2008:
    well as far as i knw apply a job frm agency and they might ask as what its called placement fees..some went tru agencies frm d count ry of origin..but d more u have qualities as a worker the more job u cn get here hk.
    You are talking about an entirely different issue here. What you mean is a FDH visa! The application procedure for a work visa is very different from that and certainly does not involve paying a huge fee or a down payment.
    Again, could you please stop writing in text speak.
    Ppl mgth b tmptd 2 rpl 2 u lk tht.
    Fiona in HKG and Skyhook like this.

  6. #56

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gold Coast Marina
    Posts
    17,934
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpatNeighbor:
    Actually, there's some truth in your post as there are indeed fixers who approach people to "fix" their problems. However, those who fall victims to such illegal activities are people who are lazy enough not to do a research on how to get what they need in the proper and legal manner. The passport example above is something which I could not relate to, as I got mine nearly 5 years ago and it was relatively easy to obtain it in the normal and legal process. By the way, I asked my sister to get a passport so that she can join my wife and kids on their next visit here before the classes resume on June. She applied on the 10th and was expecting it on the 19th, but when I called her, she already had it delivered at home on the 18th. She had to pay an additonal fee for the delivery but it's just something less than HK$30, the average delivery charge in the country. Also, the transportation cost is nearly the same if she chose to get it by herself.

    I think the passport problem occurred some years ago when it was switched to the machine readable ones, but now it's back to normal.
    I did clearly state in my post I was using the word "passport" as an example of something that might be in the category, not something that was. Talking to friends in Manila, they certainly indicate that many things that involve government officials CANNOT be done just using the official channels ... you must basically pay bribes to get licenses granted or stuff done so I guess if you are not comfortable doing it yourself it's easier to use a fixer. I've never come across it myself in the years I have been working in Manila, but locals say that the foreigners are never targeted so I wouldn't expect to.

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I did clearly state in my post I was using the word "passport" as an example of something that might be in the category, not something that was. Talking to friends in Manila, they certainly indicate that many things that involve government officials CANNOT be done just using the official channels ... you must basically pay bribes to get licenses granted or stuff done so I guess if you are not comfortable doing it yourself it's easier to use a fixer. I've never come across it myself in the years I have been working in Manila, but locals say that the foreigners are never targeted so I wouldn't expect to.
    Yup, no offense meant on that one. I was just trying to clear that getting a passport in the Philippines is actually very easy and I think it would even be more of a hassle to find a "fixer" to do it (yet still there are those who actually do it) and therefore perpetuate the problem by falling prey to these fixers. I honestly believe that they should be reported to competent authorities because that is the only way to stop their misdeeds.

    About the government transactions, though, I'm saddened by those who speak lowly of their countrymen, and thus create the impression that the country is filled with scammers. Admittedly, there is a fraction of wrong-doers especially in the government but still there are those who are working hard to stop it. I believe it is unfair to view the society to be represented by these corrupt officials (like the nearly impeached shameless Chief INJustice) because there is still a great majority who are working honestly.

  8. #58

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    tung chung, hong kong
    Posts
    338

    I know someone who runs a few bars around town and most of her staff are from the Philippines.
    She manages to get visas for bar staff and musicians.


  9. #59

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kent, England
    Posts
    6,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Tung Chung mum:
    I know someone who runs a few bars around town and most of her staff are from the Philippines.
    She manages to get visas for bar staff and musicians.
    The musicians I could understand but I can't get my head around visas for someone pouring and serving drinks

Reply
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6