Like Tree16Likes

Young couple moving to HK in June, few questions.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Original Post Deleted
    Have there actually been cases of this happening? I have a friend (male) whose civil partner (also a male, in a legally recognized relationship in their home country) were told that a dependent visa was impossible, but they did grant a long term visitor visa that is renewable but confers no right to work, or to subsidized healthcare, etc. If there are situations where dependent visas are ever granted to same sex couples would be very interested hearing about it, not just for my friends, but also because we get occasional inquiries from clients relocating staff to HK and our immigration lawyers are under the impression that it never happens.

Mat, I am sorry I mis stated something. Dont let it ruin your day.

Quote Originally Posted by booth:
    Mat, I am sorry I mis stated something. Dont let it ruin your day.
    dude, you misstate A LOT. Visa issues, immigration issues, legitimacy of massage places in Wan Chai, the list goes on. If you don't know something don't give people a definitive answer that might not be correct - it is both rude and unhelpful.

I only mis stated the visa issue, the rest you just make up. Do you have anything better to do but put people down?

I only mis stated the visa issue, the rest you just make up. Do you have anything better to do but put people down?
    "No degree = no chance" - wrong

"You can NOT get an employment visa without a university degree from an accredited school. Period. Sorry. But this is the truth,..." - wrong again

"You could get married and hence you will receive a dependent visa from your BF with no right to work." - wrong

"I was under the impression that you must be married to a HR permenant resident to get visa WITH working rights?" - still wrong

"Wan Chai massage is a "special" massage. And watch your wallet, it might disappear." - gross overstatement at best

"But landlords here generally do the norm and if you ask for something, you will pay extra for the "convenience" of appeasing you." - another overgeneralization, there is no "norm"...

...and this list goes on

You arent very helpful to the people when you always find the exception and argue that.

People like you told me two years ago not to come here because I had no experience. Yet I moved here, found a job and apartment within a week and visa sponsorship.

Now, you want to encourage a secondary degree holder to pick up and move to HK...

Yet a degree holder with no experience and no Chinese skills is not good enough, as often stated in these forums.

Yet now you want to argue a secondary degree holder is good enough.

Whatever.....

You are always right, I am always wrong. Thank you for caring enough to constantly tell me this

And since you seem like a guy who knows everything and needs the last word. Ill let you have it.

go ahead........

People like you told me two years ago not to come here because I had no experience. Yet I moved here, found a job and apartment within a week and visa sponsorship.
    That is not at all what I said, if you had bothered to read my post. I simply noted that your emphatic statement that "no degree = no chance", etc. was not always true, and then gave a couple very specific examples of the limited circumstances under which a non-degree holder may be granted a visa. If anything, the information I provided would serve to give the OP a better understanding of his/ her options as it both provides the correct information (including a link the Immigration department's exact criteria) and emphazises that while not impossible, chances for a non-degree holder to get a job are slim.

Similarly, the statement "Yet a degree holder with no experience and no Chinese skills is not good enough, as often stated in these forums." is an oversimplification. The statement first is generally more applicable to people with limited employment experience (there are still agreat number of experienced expats coming over with no language skills, particularly as internal transfers) and even then, depending on the field Chinese language may matter a lot or not.

The point of these forums is to help people and engage in meaningful discourse. Every now and then someone comes along who has a bunch of incorrect ideas and states them as fact. These kinds of posts aren't helpful to anyone - they don't provide accurate information or facilitate a meaninful discussion of a topic that doesn't have a right/ wrong answer.
    MovingIn07 and HowardCoombs like this.

Quote Originally Posted by roflrachele:
    Not at all. I'm only at a junior college and I'm not getting anywhere very quickly. Originally I just wanted to take some time off and teach English abroad but he prefers Hong Kong over the places that I'd be able to teach without a degree.
    Of course HE PREFERS HONG KONG! Every straight and sane male would prefer HK! If I knew then HK would be this great Disneyland, I would have stayed in my mom's womb and demanded that she give birth to me in HK! But it was not so bad for me, I arrived here at age 23 (6 years ago). If you decide to move with him, I wish you the best and I hope you have a rock solid relationship. Don't say I didn't warn you!

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4