Like Tree12Likes

MOVING TO HK AT THE END OF OCTOBER

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

MOVING TO HK AT THE END OF OCTOBER

Dear Hong Kongers,

how is life at the other side of the world? I'm Eugenia and actually based in Barcelona. I'm planning to move to HK at the end of October. Any advice on how to find a job for a 30 years old Italian girl, majored in Chinese Language + MBA, +5 years work experience betwenn China and Europe,speaking fluently 5 languages?

I will really appreciate your advices and, of course, very happy to know new people through this forum.

Thanks! M goi!!!

Last edited by EugeniaHK; 21-04-2012 at 06:28 AM.

Caps lock would be my first piece of advice.

MovingIn07 likes this.

hope you will enjoy hk life, good luck on job hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by EugeniaHK:
    Dear Hong Kongers,

how is life at the other side of the world? I'm Eugenia and actually based in Barcelona. I'm planning to move to HK at the end of October. Any advice on how to find a job for a 30 years old Italian girl, majored in Chinese Language + MBA, +5 years work experience betwenn China and Europe,speaking fluently 5 languages?

I will really appreciate your advices and, of course, very happy to know new people through this forum.

Thanks! M goi!!!
    Get yourself over here as soon as you can. Easier once you are here.

LOL....for a second there I thought my missus had signed on here as she shares the same name as the OP.

Firstly, do you have skills that are not generally available in HK? You'll need those to get a visa. I suggest your language skills are a good place to start (given we know nothing else about you).

Secondly, yes, being here is everything. I got a CV for a guy today that we are looking to hire, but he's in the UK so we'd have to do a phone interview ... hmm... that put me off I can tell you!

Thirdly - being here is VERY EXPENSIVE! So I hope you have some savings, or a relative/friend whose couch you can sleep on for a few months .....

And finally ... stop SHOUTING at us.

Dear all, thanks for your replies! About the accomodation, let's say, it will not be a problem because my partner is already there. About job opportunities in HK, I do agree is better being there although is also reasonable starting to have a look at the job market, the most searched profiles, wage ranges, visa conditions...according to my understanding, if a company hire you, they will provide you a job/residence permit. Am I right? Thanks again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EugeniaHK:
    ...visa conditions...according to my understanding, if a company hire you, they will provide you a job/residence permit. Am I right? Thanks again!!!
    not quite. Any job that will qualify you for a work visa cannot be a job that any local employee can do, amongst other criteria. Once you have a job offer you apply for your own work visa. Different employers provide varying levels of support, with MNCs generally doing everything and some smaller local companies leaving it primarily up to you. It typically takes at least 4 weeks for immigration to review and either accept or reject a work visa application. They may also ask for additional documents before making a decision.

You can look at the detailed criteria for a work visa either on the immigration web site directly and it is listed and discussed a lot on this site.

Come to Hong Kong....you should be able to find a job. Online outside of HK is more difficult. You should be able to get a visa no problem.

I must agree about going to Hong Kong. I went to a job fair in January and did a second interview with them in February, and then got hired for an August start. Good luck to you!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast