Like Tree11Likes

27 yr old looking to move to HK and finding a job there

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

27 yr old looking to move to HK and finding a job there

Hi everyone,
    I'm 26 years old and i will be graduating at the Hilton College at the University of Houston in HRM within about a yr or so (if everything goes accordingly). I am having the desire to leave the U.S. to live and pursue my career in HK once i graduate; however, i have several questions:
    1. How easy is there to find a job there in the Hospitality field?
    2. I am a U.S citizen, but my parents are from HK, but they too currently live here in the U.S.So how would i obtain a work visa(if i go there myself to look for a job) or obtain a HK ID?
    3. I am chinese american and speak fluent cantonese, tai san, and a little bit of mandarin and can also write and read a little bit.
    4. Would it be better to look for a job there once i graduate or find a company here in the U.S. that is willing to transfer employees over seas for work?
    5. My work experience consists of nothing but food and beverage work in a hotel and various restaurants.

Can you get HK id card from your parents? Makes life easier.

Yes as a matter of fact my mom still has her HK ID. so what would be the next steps in getting a permanent HK ID? I know china does not recognize dual citizenship, can I secretly still keep my u.s. Citizenship?

Keep in mind that for entry level positions generally your pay will be much higher in the US and your housing costs much lower. an internal transfer with a big hotel chain after gaining some experience in the US is worth considering.

Re eligibility for a permanent HKID, all the info is on the Immigration web site and also covered quite a bit on this forum.

So in your opinion, it is better off finding a corporate hotel n hopefully transfer one day? My only concern is that it is not certain that a hotel might need transfers overseas, if not then I would have to go to hk n look for a job myself.

If you think you have the right to live and work in HK based on the fact that your parents are from HK then you'll need to apply for an HKID. You'll have to make a trip out to HK to submit your ROP145 first. You can stay in HK while you're going through the application process but you may need someone in the U.S. to mail you the required documents while you're in HK. You'll also need an HK correspondence address.

Are you working for a global hotel chain? If so, which one? I've worked with a large hotel chain and corporate transfers shouldn't be too difficult.

okay, let's get this straight. So my mother apparently still holds a HKID card (saw it in person). But my father is from mainland china and never had the permanent residency to reside in HK. (Although he did live and work there for a few years) However both of my parents have been in the United States for over 30 years. So does that change any circumstances? And also LOUN80, I have worked at Marriott before but nothing serious. I am currently still working on my Bachelors HRM and have about a year before i graduate if everything goes accordingly. My main and HONEST goal is to eventually just live in HK no matter what, so therefore nothing will stop me from moving there. But obviously i would like to find a decent and stable career and I'm glad to know that most major hotel chains are not too difficult with international transfers. Does anyone know of any major/global restaurant chains in HK that would hire because i would rather work for a restaurant chain than a hotel honestly.

Chain restaurants in HK with US origins are typically franchised with varying degrees of involvement of the main company. As they are not within the same corporate family I would expect an internal transfer to be off the table.

The US F&B companies sometimes employ staff to oversee HK operations of their franchisees, but very few.

Quote Originally Posted by micwong:
    okay, let's get this straight. So my mother apparently still holds a HKID card (saw it in person). But my father is from mainland china and never had the permanent residency to reside in HK. (Although he did live and work there for a few years) However both of my parents have been in the United States for over 30 years. So does that change any circumstances? And also LOUN80, I have worked at Marriott before but nothing serious. I am currently still working on my Bachelors HRM and have about a year before i graduate if everything goes accordingly. My main and HONEST goal is to eventually just live in HK no matter what, so therefore nothing will stop me from moving there. But obviously i would like to find a decent and stable career and I'm glad to know that most major hotel chains are not too difficult with international transfers. Does anyone know of any major/global restaurant chains in HK that would hire because i would rather work for a restaurant chain than a hotel honestly.
    I've tried to apply to some hotels in HK but had no response. Back to the HKID question. Where were you born? What was your mother's immigration status in the USA when you were born?

Even if you land a job in a hotel, its unlikely that you can make an internal transfer internationally immediately. You might need to work several years. In the US, they cut back on transfers and visa sponsoring, due to political pressure.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast