Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Satay Sue
  • 1 Post By penguinsix

Shipping advice - Denver to Hong Kong

Shipping advice - Denver to Hong Kong

I need advice on shipping our things to HK in June. Are there any websites that actually walk you through it so I can get some sort of idea of how much it it going to cost and how long it will take? I don't know how much we are shipping yet. We are doing our own packing. Any help would be appreciated.

Moving companies do offer free quotes. A rep would come around, you can ask them for several estimates including or excluding items. I think this would be the best way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    Moving companies do offer free quotes. A rep would come around, you can ask them for several estimates including or excluding items. I think this would be the best way to do it.
    I was wondering what websites to contact. Any suggestions?

I'm not from the US so not sure but this site looks a good place to start
    Denver Packaging, Crating & Shipping | Craters & Freighters
    Just google "shipping from denver", get a few guys round, no obligation to go with anyone. I get around 4 or 5 quotes when moving countries!

dougmal likes this.

Agreed. I would contact google. =)

Moving companies will send there folks out and give you a quick (and free) quote. Call on Monday and they'll like be there within 48 hours. You'll have realistic quotes within a few days.

Most of the major movers in the US, like Allied or United Van Lines, will partner up with firms on this side like Tiger or Santa Fe to provide door to door service. You can initiate the move from your end by calling a couple of big movers in your area or you can contact Santa Fe or Tiger here in Hong Kong (who will then call the movers in your area).

I should note that many of the movers dislike or actually disapprove you "packing your own stuff" do to the insurance liability that goes with it being "non-professionally packed".

I did a 20 footer door-to-door with packing from the East Coast near Baltimore. Took about 9 weeks and I think it was $6,000-$8,000 USD. Can't remember honestly as I didn't see the bill.

FerrisC likes this.