Like Tree5Likes

Where to live within commuter distance of Hang Hau (Tseung Kwan O)?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where to live within commuter distance of Hang Hau (Tseung Kwan O)?

We are moving to HK in August to work near Hang Hau and seek responses from people who have positive/negative things to say about apartments within reasonable commuter distance of this area.

Feedback from people living in Yau Tong, Tiu Keng Leng, North Point, Taikoo Shing and Sai Wan Ho would be particularly welcome.

Thanks in advance.

ummm....
    1) budget?
    2) budget?
    3) budget?
    4) how big are you hoping to get?
    5) are you hoping to have facilities such as pool, gym etc?
    6) how much of a commute are you willing to put up with?
    7) budget?
    8) do you have a family?
    9) how many bedrooms?
    10) budget?
    11) do you want to be in the "thick" of the city? or do you prefer having more green around you?
    12) do you like high-rise living? or do you prefer lowrises?
    13) budget?

Last edited by carang; 01-05-2012 at 07:13 PM.

Lots of complexes in Hang Hay and PO Lam

budget....

your unknown requirements aside here are my impressions after living in Sai Wan Ho, then Tiu Keng Leng and now Hang Hau:

Sai Wan Ho is hot, noisy, rundown. The exceptions, Grand Promenade, Les.Saisons and Oakridge are overpriced and small. The MTR is always a rain-soaked walk away (it happens more often than you might think...) Some good food in Soho East.

Tiu Keng Leng is very convenient with MTR serving two lines. Oceans Shores is exc. build quality,mgmt and facilities. Metrotown/Le Pointe is newer but more compact.apts and views are not as good. Good clubhouse and right on top of MTR but the mall is crap at every level. No good food options and limited ParknShop supermarket. Sea views at TKL are now enhanced by a massive dustbowl construction site that is Tseung Kwan O town centre....expect this for several more years...

Hang Hau is close and easily connected to Sai Kung and CWB by minibus. East Point City is a decent mall with Taste and Marks & Spencer. A few good eats as well but Hebe Haven and Sai Kung are a better option for good food. Res. Oasis is also compact flats as is East Pt City...Le Cite Noble can be good value as its older/more local. TKO stadium is close for running and there are a few nice small parks around if you have kids. No sea views save from the very upper floors of a few bldgs in Res. Oasis, EPC and La Cite Noble....

Po Lam more local with no newer estates. Metrocity Plaza mall has a theatre with limited selection (often the Canto/w Eng subs versions of movies but an H&M, Zara and Park n Shop Superstore. Po Hong park has large play structures and real grass areas. TKO Swimming Pool is halfway between Po Lam and Hang Hau with gd slides for kids. Library and gym there as well.
    Sent from my GT-I9000 using GeoClicks Mobile

Last edited by anothercanuck; 01-05-2012 at 09:45 PM.
    carang, TheBrit and Fiona in HKG like this.

Thank you anothercanuck for your very helpful response. All this is very useful information.

We are are middle aged couple, no kids, into fitness; we would ideally like to have access to a pool that is suitable for lap swimming. Our main wants are quiet with a view, 2 bedrooms and not over 16K. We are not total numpties and have lived in HK before but not in this area. We currently live and work in one of SE Asia's noisiest and most chaotic cities.

You said there are minibuses from Hang Hau to CWB and Sai Kung; how long does it take to get to Sai Kung by minibus?

Thanks again for your information.

With those requirements, sai kung would be perfect. Minibus is about 20 mins.

Off topic but does anyone know what the heck they are building between the TKO MTR and the waterfront?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using GeoClicks Mobile

You might consider Block 1, 2 and 3 of Ocean Shores in Tiu Keng Leng with full sea views. Just below the buildings is the Oly-sized dedicated lap pool, tennis courts, and fitness room end of the very huge clubhouse. They are farthest away from the MTR but they are also the quietest.

If I were you I'd also look at Sai Kung or Clearwater Bay, but then you'd likely have to travel to a pool (or go to TKO pool after work..it has dedicated lap pools too.) There are minibuses from Hang Hau MTR to Sai Kung, and TKO MTR to CWB. They can get busy esp on the weekend, when the road to Sai Kung also jams up. But weekdays s/b no problem (someone here who does that particular commute would know more than I)

The new business discrtict in TKO (as I mentioned, TKO Town Centre), including new estates, offices, and all supporting infrastructure, including a waterfront park.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast