Like Tree95Likes

My hubby is leaving today and I feel so heartbroken. This is the beginning of our move :(

Reply
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,154
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Try not to be too downhearted from the reliance from love-China expats on this forum. Long termers are in a special minority - most don't stay more than a few years.
    When are you leaving Gritty?
    jimbo likes this.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    22,465

    When I choose to do so Howard . Some of us retain that option.

    dear giant likes this.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,732
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    I understand your feelings. You are leaving a first world country and coming to Hong Kong - a
    deeply flawed, incredibly unequal polluted little outpost of China. The only advice I can give is try to focus on the positives, ignore the many negatives and remember this is a temporary posting and that you can return to
    civilisation one day.

    Try not to be too downhearted from the reliance from love-China expats on this forum. Long termers are in a special minority - most don't stay more than a few years.
    yes, i agree. being poor in this city suck. theBrit is the best person for advice on surviving in this city on a dime.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,012

    I cannot understand why someone would be "heartbroken" because their partner is leaving temporarily!

    Seems you have some serious trust issues..........







    .......... oh yes, I remember:

    http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/63/thread222397.html



    Arriving Saturday, eh? good night to familiarise himself with the nightlife!


  5. #15

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    32

    I'm confused. Has OP moved to HK with hubby and hubby leaving HK right away, or is hubby moving to HK alone for 2 months?
    And where did you read about OP being in the US?

    I don't know what's going on, but I am away from boyfriend for a year (though I have visited him and he did the same). I think you can get through this. Two months is quite short if you think about how long you still have down the road. We are still 3-4 months apart, and until then, we sure won't get to see each other, other than on the webcam. We have been doing alright for all the time.

    But then, I have been away from family for 11 years. I am used to goodbyes. My boyfriend isn't though. It's harder on him than it is on me. I think he would have been thrilled if we were only apart for two months. Good luck to you two, but trust me, time will fly.


  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by vwyleung:
    I'm confused. Has OP moved to HK with hubby and hubby leaving HK right away, or is hubby moving to HK alone for 2 months?
    And where did you read about OP being in the US?

    I don't know what's going on, but I am away from boyfriend for a year (though I have visited him and he did the same). I think you can get through this. Two months is quite short if you think about how long you still have down the road. We are still 3-4 months apart, and until then, we sure won't get to see each other, other than on the webcam. We have been doing alright for all the time.

    But then, I have been away from family for 11 years. I am used to goodbyes. My boyfriend isn't though. It's harder on him than it is on me. I think he would have been thrilled if we were only apart for two months. Good luck to you two, but trust me, time will fly.
    I doubt if anyone here knows this except few. People enjoy microblogging.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    14,586
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    yes, i agree. being poor in this city suck. theBrit is the best person for advice on surviving in this city on a dime.
    Well he does buy seafood in temple street - living on the edge.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,372
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    I understand your feelings. You are leaving a first world country and coming to Hong Kong - a
    deeply flawed, incredibly unequal polluted little outpost of China. The only advice I can give is try to focus on the positives, ignore the many negatives and remember this is a temporary posting and that you can return to
    civilisation one day.

    Try not to be too downhearted from the reliance from love-China expats on this forum. Long termers are in a special minority - most don't stay more than a few years.
    Since you and Dear Giant are obviously only here for the money quit your whining

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kent, England
    Posts
    6,728

    Monster, I really sympathise. I felt similar when we left London in 1996 for Tokyo - and that was WITH my husband But you will be surprised how quickly time passes, you'll be so busy before you go then once you get here you'll be caught up again. With Skype you can keep in touch so easily now.
    If you do feel lonely when you get here there are a couple of lunch clubs or there's usually someone arranging drinks etc.
    Hope the move goes well!


  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    too bad you aren't moving with a positive attitude... you could, instead of being sad, look at it as an adventure for the two of you...

    negativity certainly won't help you settle in here...you'll just bring your misery with you, which won't be fun for anyone.
    Carang- I find this surprising from you. To be so unsympathetic of someone about to move and the nerve of them to miss home & friends. You say you're not being nasty, but your posts reads very much like an attack on her and the US. I know you are incredibly defensive about Hong Kong, but the OP never said anything negative about Hong Kong! Simply that she was going to miss her old life. Very normal and acceptable emotions even from someone who wants the adventure of expat life.
    dear giant likes this.

Reply
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast