Like Tree95Likes

My hubby is leaving today and I feel so heartbroken. This is the beginning of our move :(

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by erin320:
    Carang- I find this surprising from you. To be so unsympathetic of someone about to move and the nerve of them to miss home & friends. You say you're not being nasty, but your posts reads very much like an attack on her and the US. I know you are incredibly defensive about Hong Kong, but the OP never said anything negative about Hong Kong! Simply that she was going to miss her old life. Very normal and acceptable emotions even from someone who wants the adventure of expat life.
    I'd actually say that I'm with Carang on this one. The OP sounded like a whiny teenager, not a grown woman. I went through exactly the same changes when we moved here, but my husband moved about 8 months before I did, so I can understand the OP's feelings, but not the general sulky adolescent tone. The best advice I can give the OP is that people do this all the time, and like others have noted communications and travel are cheap and easy these days so just get on with it like an adult.

It's 10% about having a positive attitude and 90% about making enough money to buy good quality groceries, to own a motorcycle or car, to rent a good sized apartment that's close enough to work, to eat and drink well on weekends, and to take several holidays a year. Just a positive attitude gets you nowhere in this town.

dear giant likes this.

having the positive attitude and being open to change means you can cope better with anything that comes your way.

If you have children it is particularly important that you, as the adult, show a positive attitude as the kids will feed/bounce off you. If they see you down and miserable and not giving new things a chance, they will be the same.

You will be busy packing/unpacking and working out your 'new home'. Time will fly when you do it in a positive cheerful way.

Like others here, I know as i have done it a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    It's 10% about having a positive attitude and 90% about making enough money to buy good quality groceries, to own a motorcycle or car, to rent a good sized apartment that's close enough to work, to eat and drink well on weekends, and to take several holidays a year. Just a positive attitude gets you nowhere in this town.
    You might need that 90% to feel good but it's def. not what every expat needs to 'get somewhere'...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using GeoClicks Mobile

I think a few people are letting the crappy weather get to them this morning. OP sounds like she needs reassurance rather than insults like sulky adolescent or whiny teenager.
    Everyone's experience of moving is different, I had a particularly stressful move frpm Singapore to here despite having moved countries 4 times before (including in and out of Tokyo twice!).

dear giant likes this.

Wow, so many harsh (and even nasty) comments. She is only commenting she will be missing her husband for two months - very natural emotion when your other half won't be around (temporarily). It also means she has to settle and pack things up by herself (with two kids if I'm not mistaken) - definitely not easy to do (I did the same thing). I did not get the feeling she was complaining about her move to HK, just the fact that she will miss her husband.

The two months will go quickly - I've been here about two years now and getting ready to pack things up (I feel I just arrived)! I am actually quite sad about it. I love Boston but am not ready to go back permanently just yet! Hong Kong has been the best experience for me and my family! So much to see and do here and in neighboring countries. Good luck!

dear giant likes this.

This is what happens when people post something like this in a couple of sentences, posters will jump to their own conclusions on what the OP means / feels / thinks !

Really????

Original Post Deleted
    Didn't know there was a deaf blind and dumb airline

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    You really don't know a wide range of expats if you think all expats have to live like this to sustain their ability to enjoy living in HK !
    As shocking as this may be to people who don't enjoy living here, some people live in HK not because they LOVE it (or HATE it but make enough money to justify it), they might be living here because it has more pros than cons compared to their home country or simply because they have made it their home.
    I know quite a few expats who have no plans to leave HK, not because they adore everything here but because their home country doesn't attract them to ever return and that doesn't mean they are miserable here. They just don't think about these things, HK is their home now and there are things they do and don't like here but to them, the grass is (a few shades) greener here.
    Last edited by SiuMaiTaiTai; 05-05-2012 at 12:12 PM.
    jimbo, John Doe Jr, jaykay and 4 others like this.

Geo can be very useful for practical advice (usually mixed with banter, argument and sarcasm), but it really isn't the place for touchy-feely group hugs, would've thought the OP would have realised that after her previous post about the wisdom of letting a spouse come to Hong Kong first.

@the OP: if you're looking for sympathy, I'd seriously suggest Facebook or Myspace where people know you already. Just about everyone on Geo has been through the stress of international moves and separation from friends and family without being broken by it. As you can tell already, you're going to get some pretty unsympathetic responses here!

Now, if you want to know where to find American sized tubs of laundry detergent or good steak, Geo will be much more helpful.

Last edited by jgl; 05-05-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast