Like Tree95Likes

My hubby is leaving today and I feel so heartbroken. This is the beginning of our move :(

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

My hubby is leaving today and I feel so heartbroken. This is the beginning of our move :(

It's hard to say good bye to friends and the us.

Really sad.

It's only temporary isn't it?

Yes. Still sad. 2 months.

too bad you aren't moving with a positive attitude... you could, instead of being sad, look at it as an adventure for the two of you...

negativity certainly won't help you settle in here...you'll just bring your misery with you, which won't be fun for anyone.

I think u misunderstand. Saying bye is hard and has nothing to do w being negative.

dear giant and climber07 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by monster2003:
    It's hard to say good bye to friends and the us.
    New life, new chances, new opportunities - Embrace them!

Welcome to Hong Kong.

Hate it love it, it won't leave you indifferent.
    Last edited by Mat; 04-05-2012 at 11:09 PM.
    jimbo likes this.

sorry, i'm not being nasty but, really????

it's not like 60 years ago, when my grandparents left ireland on a ship for canada, KNOWING they would never see their parents again.

there are multiple daily flights to the USA, internet/skype.... it's not like you're not going to see anyone again, for goodness sake.

as for hubby, if you have the right attitude, the time will fly by. you'll be busy, he will be busy. if you have the wrong attitude, it will feel like a million years.

it's all in the attitude.

Gweilo86, Stoob, Skyhook and 8 others like this.

I understand your feelings. You are leaving a first world country and coming to Hong Kong - a
    deeply flawed, incredibly unequal polluted little outpost of China. The only advice I can give is try to focus on the positives, ignore the many negatives and remember this is a temporary posting and that you can return to
    civilisation one day.

Try not to be too downhearted from the reliance from love-China expats on this forum. Long termers are in a special minority - most don't stay more than a few years.

dear giant and jgl like this.

i am most definitely NOT in a "love-china" group.

no, hk is not perfect...

but i would also say that the USA is far from perfect, too. and that every place has its good point and bad points.

i DO understand being apprehensive of the unknown. I know for some, that is very scary. but you can choose to be frightened of it or you can look upon it as an adventure... it's all in the attitude.

if you come with a bad attitude, that your "home" is perfect and nothing can ever measure up... guess what... nothing will ever be good enough.

if you come with a positive attitude, you can make the best of it while you are here. learn about life outside of your box & learn about yourself and go home a better person for it.

and while many expats come for a few years and then leave, that is because they work in sectors where expat living requires relocation around the world... if you are in a different industry, then perhaps not as many people leave.

while it is a small sampling, our current circle of friends/acquaintances has a much higher proportion of the "long-term" residents than the newbies. but if you include hubby's business clients... then it evens out again, with a lot more transient residents.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast