Like Tree20Likes

Repulse Bay/Mid Levels/The American Club

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Repulse Bay/Mid Levels/The American Club

Hi Guys,

I am ready for a few more flames. We are looking at either moving to Repulse Bay (better air quality) or Mid Levels (shorter commute). Our kids will be in school at the Peak and Pok Fu Lam. Most importantly however, we would like to give our pre teen child as much independence as possible, so I am wondering, what everybody's thoughts were on these locations. I am also thinking that we will be joining the American Club at some point.... Any thoughts will be appreciated! Thanks. Monster.

You don't say anything with regards to budget, which makes it difficult to assess what you would be able to get and where...

also, are you assuming you will have school places or have you already received placements? school places at the "top" international schools are extremely hard to come by and waiting lists are long.

otherwise, what else would you like to know?

repulse bay is ok... i'm sure many people love living there. it's not where i would choose to live, but then again, neither is the mid-levels.

you don't say what is important to you, other than you want your child to have independence... which isn't all that difficult in hk, it is a very safe city to live in.

Stoob likes this.

1. Budget?
    2. What does your kids like to do: ie cultural thing or outdoor stuffs?

Understood. Yes, we have a spot for both our kids in school and budget for housing is about 100K hkd. It looks to me that what you get is similar in Mid Levels and repulse bay, however, the pictures might just be lying. It did look similar when I looked at apartments in Jan. I want to end up in a kid friendly neighborhood where I can easily go into Hong Kong at night for an occasional dinner, however, kids come first. We are city people so in an ideal world we would probably live in Mid Levels, but I am guessing that Repulse Bay is nicer (if more boring) for the kids..... I really don't know.

Kids are city kids, however, crowdedness of HK probably doesn't compare with NYC. I would say they like doing outdoorsey stuff and the city, with a weight on outdoor stuff. Just by looking at neighborhoods, I just don't get a sense for what its really like, but then, maybe you never know until you actually live there....

i think you are going to have to stay in a service apartment for a month or more and visit the areas yourself. you are the only one who can decide what you think is best for your family.

and with a 100k budget, you can pretty much live anywhere in hk. it woudl take most hk families 5 months to earn that.

Stoob likes this.

Personally, I would definitely go for Repulse Bay - it is much nicer in my view and less built-up with more open spaces and greenery.

You have a number of beaches in the vicinity: Repulse Bay, Middle Bay, South Bay.
    Deep Water Bay and Stanley are about 10 minutes away.

Stanley has lots of nice restaurants, beaches and BBQ pits, public library, Water Sports Centre near the bus terminus, a nice new plaza with quite a variety of shops and more. Repulse Bay is also closer to the American Club than the Mid Levels and should also have better air quality.

Tough call.

Your budget allows you good places anywhere. Repulse Bay is not "far" from the city but it still requires a bus/car to get there. Midlevels depending on where you are can be more convenient (or not).

As i recall your husband is coming ahead of you. Suggest he visits both places (and add Deep Water Bay. Pok Fu Lam and Shouson Hill in the mix).

Will your husband work in Central btw?

Also, websites are misleading so they give you an idea but you should NOT decide without seeing first.

For your budget, I'd look at Leighton Hill
    in Happy Valley.

If you plan on using the American Club with any frequency the commute from mid-levels is easily a hour on public transportation, and about 35 minutes if you drive. It also isn't a fantastic place for preteens. There is a teens room or something with video games, movies and a snack bar, but I rarely see anyone in there. It is great for younger kids, however, with a lot of programs, a lovely big playroom and a special children's pool.

Regarding Repulse Bay, some people love it, others hate it. It is very isolated and except for a small handful of shops and a couple restaurants and a spa there is nothing there. But, there is easy and frequent transport to Central and other parts of HK. Repulse Bay beach is insanely crowded (and dirty) on weekends and would have to say it is my least favorite on HK island.

Mid levels are crowded, but right in the middle of everything. Not much for preteens to do, however and most of my friends with children over the age of 5 have moved elsewhere, either to the south side or some to Sai Kung/ Clearwater Bay. There are lots of playrooms and that sort of thing for younger kids, but few large outdoor playgrounds.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast