Like Tree40Likes

Moving to hong kong in June -help with renting in discovery bay

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Discovery Bay
    Posts
    5,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    The Greens are right on the main road and there is fairly heavy bus/truck traffic. There are no cars (generally speaking though you do see some) in DB and therefore all internal transport is by bus, van and golf cart, all of which are fairly high polluters and there is only recently a move to cleaner buses and golf carts. Add to that the delivery trucks, other internal trucks and the external buses.

    Anyone living in a low floor that close to traffic, would probably 'feel' the impact, hence the advice (apart from noise) to live higher up...
    Exactamente, although it is also very convenient for the OP that the bus stop for the services to Sunny Bay, Tung Chung and the airport is within 50 yards or so from the entrance of the building, while the internal services (to the ferry pier/plaza) stop is right across the street.

    The service/moving vehicles can be a pain.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Peng Chau
    Posts
    22

    No I have not. He was there on the weekend and unable to see school. We are looking at db international. I am very concerned from what I hear on wait lists. Plus you have to apply and I am concerned about her getting accepted.


  3. #13

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Peng Chau
    Posts
    22

    Oh my lol. Ok it is a joke I was going to say I heard the opposite! Only thing I heard is they love blonde blue eyed kids and they will come over and pick them up because they are so cute. No kiddnaping though. . My baby is blonde with the brightest blue eyes ever and my older daughter has one blue eye one brown eye with dark blonde hair so I have prepared for that .

    Satay Sue likes this.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,561
    Quote Originally Posted by Colzers:
    No I have not. He was there on the weekend and unable to see school. We are looking at db international. I am very concerned from what I hear on wait lists. Plus you have to apply and I am concerned about her getting accepted.
    If you don't have a school spot in DB (or elsewhere) secured at this point for the fall your chances of getting a spot are slim. You should call the school ASAP to confirm what your chances are. Commute from DB to outside schools can be very lengthy.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Peng Chau
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by hello_there:
    If you don't have a school spot in DB (or elsewhere) secured at this point for the fall your chances of getting a spot are slim. You should call the school ASAP to confirm what your chances are. Commute from DB to outside schools can be very lengthy.
    Thank I will do this tomorrow. It is so many details to moving over seas! My last resort is doing online school with her till she get in.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,561
    Quote Originally Posted by Colzers:
    My last resort is doing online school with her till she get in.
    Make sure to check that homeschooling is legal in HK. I know it is not for perminent residents but there may be limited exceptions for short term expats. I think there were some discussions on this board a while ago about it. A friend of mine considered it for her twins and was shut down by the education department...

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gold Coast Marina
    Posts
    17,934

    Homeschooling is illegal. But some people still do it. There are plenty of local schools, some of which have English streams, that you can consider as a stop-gap.


  8. #18

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Peng Chau
    Posts
    22

    Thank you I will look into it any idea who I should contact regarding the online school. I know k12.com has a program there so I assumed it was ok


  9. #19

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gold Coast Marina
    Posts
    17,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Colzers:
    Thank you I will look into it any idea who I should contact regarding the online school. I know k12.com has a program there so I assumed it was ok
    Which part of "home schooling is illegal" did you not understand?

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gold Coast Marina
    Posts
    17,934

    This thread highlights the debate in more detail. Reading it, I would stand by my original view that it is illegal. It would appear that groups that organize to homeschool get closer to the definition of a school.

    http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/71/thread7305-4.html


Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast