Like Tree40Likes

Moving to hong kong in June -help with renting in discovery bay

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    it doesn't matter what the programme says...it matters what the HK gov't says.... you would have to prove to the gov't that you can support your child's learning. and even that doesn't guarantee approval. i tried to gain approval for my kids (i've been teaching in hk for 17 years).... but was turned down. they didn't even allow me the opportunity to present a curriculum! but then again, i'm now a permanent resident and my kids have right of abode, so that may make it more difficult for me than for you.

as for db int'l... maybe you can apply BEFORE you get the visa?
    I wish I could but when I went online to check it said I need my husbands work visa and her visa stamp with the application. We should have in June. The move date is the last week in June

Original Post Deleted
    Yes I did sorry I am new at this. . I am nervous about the school situation more everyday! If it is difficult to get approval for homeschooling and the wait lists are so long how do people educate there children that are English speaking?

Quote Originally Posted by Colzers:
    Yes I did sorry I am new at this. . I am nervous about the school situation more everyday! If it is difficult to get approval for homeschooling and the wait lists are so long how do people educate there children that are English speaking?
    1) They don't limit themselves to a single location (eg: DBIS) but rather look all over for various schools available
    2) They consider English medium but non-international schools that exist in various parts of the city
    3) They consider putting their kids into Cantonese local schools so their kids can pick up an extra language (if young enough)
    MovingIn07 likes this.

Or - 4) they leave the kids at home in boarding school or with relatives
    5) decide not to come.

6) The worker of the family (in the cases I know, the husband) comes first and the spouse and kids are in another country. I seriously know families doing this.

Last edited by Satay Sue; 11-05-2012 at 02:36 PM. Reason: MI07 got there a few seconds first!

SNAP! (10 chara)

Satay Sue likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    I am not sure if everyone on here is being rude or if I am reading this wrong but bottom line is I was under the impression that education is mandatory and a high priority here that said before he signed a contract for this job I looked in to many international schools and talked to my current school for advice and had no idea the strict restrictions on home/online schools. That's a piece of culture shock I guess for assuming it was fine if the system is offered there. I will commute to get her to school if that is what it takes. She is my number one priority and I will do everything it takes to secure her in a good school. I also didnt realize I could not apply until she has a stamp on visa. Otherwise this would already be done.

Side note I have heard great things about the people who live in Hong Kong (great support groups, very welcoming and so on). The comments some of you have made not all but some give me a rude awakening to the reality of how people can be cold and talk down to others no matter how many nice things you here about them. I am just looking for an insiders advice so if you have rude or negative comments to make please find someone else to direct them too. This is a very scary and exciting move for me and I would like to think that if you are on this site you are here to help not hurt. Thank you and have a nice day.
    ClueMinus and attkrt like this.

DeletedUser is not beIng rude here (neither was I nor most of the others).

Dont understand what you are considering rude or why even taking this personally. You asked a question and you received very valid answers in return. The options that were given to you are ones that are regularly chosen by those in the same predicament.

....had no idea the strict restrictions on home/online schools. That's a piece of culture shock....
    A small bit of advice to follow on from your comments that I've quoted. I mean this with sincerity and with no disrespect:
    You are moving to a new country with a very different set of laws, practices, value system, history & language. It would be in your interest not to expect things to be the same as "back home" nor make assumptions based on your country or pure logic for that matter.
    Get ready to be shocked again and again on many fronts with schools being just one part of it.
    Read, ask, learn, experience, embrace and enjoy; you'll love some aspects and hate some but I guarantee it will be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    DeletedUser is not beIng rude here (neither was I nor most of the others).
    yeah for once he behaved... :-)

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast