Like Tree40Likes

Moving to hong kong in June -help with renting in discovery bay

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Moving to hong kong in June -help with renting in discovery bay

We currently live in U.S. My husband just came back from a trip in hong kong and looked at many areas and places and we agree discovery bay is where we want to set up home. My issue is he talked to a rental agent who showed him two places and one is at greenbelt which is 1,000 for about 20,000hk a month (looking for under 30,000) this one had no facilities like most of other places do. He likes this place but I want a pool and play area ect. We have two kids 9 and 14 months. The guy showing him places said. The places with facilities is not worth it because there are great clubs for like 500hk a month with same facilities.
    I want something that is clean, safe for little ones. I am having a really hard time because all the places online seem to not really be try to there price. Does anyone have advise or recommendations. I also hear park island is very nice and cheaper Thank you for taking time to help me!

Last edited by Colzers; 08-05-2012 at 04:22 AM.

I dont live in Db so I am not sure of all the correct names but Db has resident clubs/Sienna Club that has pools, playrooms and other facilities.
    Yes, they are not attached to your building but it could be a short walk away or at worse a short bus ride away.
    Db has plenty of play areas/playgrounds for young children, as well as a beach to play on.
    They have a mobile library that visits the plaza regularly.

If you want to go further afield, 20minute bus ride to Tung Chung for a public swimming pool, fantastic public library, and other parks/playgrounds and walking tracks for a change.

Also bus rides/ferry rides away are Lower Cheung Sha wan beach, Mui Wo, and all the tracks across Lantau.

Plenty of facilities and options are offer on Lantau.

DB is THE place to live on HK if you have young children and want a safe clean environment. It's nicknamed "dogs and babies" for this reason. You don't need a pool or gym in your building, the other clubs are very close and better as they have more facilities (lifeguards etc at the pool, which a building pool may not have) and more social activities and the ability for you to meet more other Mums. You'll find a good social network in DB and as TungChungMum said, also close access to Tung Chung and the ferry to Central

I wouldn't over think this, and please ignore every photos or description you see online. None of them are even close to reality. Get your husband to take photos with his own camera to show you.

Colzers likes this.

As I recall in DB you do not need a pool in your building. You can access the "common" pool from 2 of the main club in exchange for a mere fee.

DB is extremely safe, clean and good with kids. No issue at all, do not worry.

Park Island is cheaper for a reason: more crowded and smaller island with only basically ONE estate.and much less "entertainment".

It's not bad, but if you have the budget, I'd go for DB instead (and it's more international).

Have you secured a space in a school for your 9 y/o? Depending on where you have him/her in school, DB could be a lengthy commute. Just a thought.

please be reminded no place is safe in HK, you should stay alert at all time.

Quote Originally Posted by uci:
    Yea, havent you heard, the mainlanders are out in full force kidnapping kids everywhere and the police are busily covering it up

Quote Originally Posted by uci:
    I assume this was meant to be humorous. Remember that the OP is not here yet and might not realize you are joking.

Greenbelt and the rest of 'The Greens' are long overdue for their facelift. Not sure when that is happening, but think 6+ months of scaffolding enveloping the building, noise and dust from exterior renovations, etc. Has your agent mentioned this? If not, ask him/her why not. If you're okay with living through that, then you want to be crystal clear that, when it happens, you're not paying for it and that it's going to be the landlord's responsibility to cover the cost for that unit.

Also, I would make sure that, for the rent you are paying, you are fairly high up, preferably no lower than the 18th floor and a D unit, which is a mirror image of the E unit (both 999sqf) but has a better angle looking out the living room windows.

Fiona in HKG, Colzers and carang like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    Greenbelt and the rest of 'The Greens' are long overdue for their facelift. Not sure when that is happening, but think 6+ months of scaffolding enveloping the building, noise and dust from exterior renovations, etc. Has your agent mentioned this? If not, ask him/her why not. If you're okay with living through that, then you want to be crystal clear that, when it happens, you're not paying for it and that it's going to be the landlord's responsibility to cover the cost for that unit.

Also, I would make sure that, for the rent you are paying, you are fairly high up, preferably no lower than the 18th floor and a D unit, which is a mirror image of the E unit (both 999sqf) but has a better angle looking out the living room windows.
    The Greens are right on the main road and there is fairly heavy bus/truck traffic. There are no cars (generally speaking though you do see some) in DB and therefore all internal transport is by bus, van and golf cart, all of which are fairly high polluters and there is only recently a move to cleaner buses and golf carts. Add to that the delivery trucks, other internal trucks and the external buses.

Anyone living in a low floor that close to traffic, would probably 'feel' the impact, hence the advice (apart from noise) to live higher up.

Crestmont, Caperidge, Sienna, La Vista, La Serene would be quieter/cleaner choices.
    Colzers and carang like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast