Relocating to Hong Kong

Closed Thread

Relocating to Hong Kong

Hi

Am looking at the possibility of taking up a postion which would require me to relocate to Hong Kong. Am in the midst of nego with my future employer and would appreciate any advice.

Am looking at asking the following :
    1) relocation allowance - 2 months rental deposit + return air fare
    2) housing allowance - abt HKD15 - 20k per mth
    3) 2 home leave trips a yr
    4) transportation & handphone allowance
    5) salary - ard HKD40 - 45k per mth. I have 10 yrs experience in the media & entertainment industry.

Is the above reasonable? And am i missing anything?

Thanks!

If you have kids then get school fees included.

You'll probably want medical insurance as well, although the public system here is pretty good.

Local transportation and phones are a pretty small cost here, so I wouldn't let that be a stumbling block in the negotiations.

Be clear on whether you can keep any surplus housing allowance as cash or whether it is "use it or lose it".

You might want to try for business class flights if you feel it is appropriate for your seniority.

As for the salary itself I can't really comment because I'm not in your industry, but in mine (telecoms) that would be low to mid-range for 10 years experience.

Real estate agent costs - usually half a month's rent.

Also, if possible try and get the company to sign the lease or commit to handling the legalities etc if you're transfered out (you don't want to be transfered out and then find out that you're personally liable for the rest of the lease).

Depending on what part of the media industry you're involved the salary seems to be on the low end. Specially if you're involved in servicing client accounts etc ..

Could go salary plus cost of living adjustment (assuming you aren't from one of the 2 or 3 more expensive places).

Dear PDLM, KnowItAll & Sleuth

Thanks for your advice. It really helps.

Cheers!