Like Tree19Likes

Moving to Hk confused.com

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Presume he will be parking near TST he has been told its expensive about $185 per day about £15 is that correct??

i can make it to Central from my place out in the country park in 45 minutes, sai kung town is about 15 minutes closer...so, i'd say around 30 minutes to tst by car, give or take 5-10 minutes for traffic conditions (note: this is going via sai sha rd, shatin, eagle's nest tunnel). you should be traffic-free until you hit the TST exit from the highway.

parking is atrocious. but you can pay monthly, which will work out to be slightly cheaper, or it usually does....

many car parks have a max daily charge, but not all...

Ok that's good to know think the car commute will suit him best :-)

Ok that's helpful to know about monthly costs being cheaper,
    We've been told it costs quite a lot to have a car with the tax and insurance??

i don't find the taxes or insurance to be expensive. i find the petrol/gas costs to be absolutely shocking... about $2USD/litre...almost $8/gallon

but we have old, very old, vehicles...
    one, a neighbour gave us... a 1992 volvo and a 1997 toyota previa.

majority of the 7 million residents live in a high rise apartment and so do we. its bloody excellent. we lived here without a car for the first 4 years and you don't need it. everything is so convenient. you'll be amazed how much you can get down in day even if you pop in and out of the apartment 10 times a day. you can always move out to the jungle if you don't like apartment living. i think its one of the dumbest thing ever to have lived in hong kong but not in a city apartment.. this will be one of the best experience in your lives. no need to be afraid what the city has to offer. you are not going to avoid pollution, traffic, noise, and people even if you live out in the jungle.

unless your husband's company has school debentures, its almost impossible to find a good international school. locals are just as good and you should work out where your kid is going to school and live near or within practical travel times to the school.

Last edited by dumbdonkey; 20-05-2012 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    i don't find the taxes or insurance to be expensive. i find the petrol/gas costs to be absolutely shocking... about $2USD/litre...almost $8/gallon
    That's not bad it's dearer in uk for petrol than that! Rip off Britain lol

yep, i did the highrise thing... and it was good for a couple of years... but we grew out of it quickly.

my husband was born and raised here and lived in highrises until he met me. don't think he'd ever want to go back to it.

so, while it is good for some, it doesn't suit all... just as village living doesn't suit everyone.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast