Like Tree19Likes

Moving to Hk confused.com

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

i've got friends who did the commute to tst and it was NEVER as little as 35 minutes. 45-60 was more like it...

Ok thanks 35-45 mins fine but longer is starting to hurt a bit!!!!

don't forget, you have to count getting to the ferry in db as well... so, more like:
    wait for bus to ferry: 5 minutes
    bus ride& walk to ferry: 5 minutes
    ferry to central: 30 minutes
    walk to star ferry 5 minutes (includes waiting to disembark from the ferry like cattle)
    wait for star ferry 5 minutes
    star ferry to tst: 8 minutes
    walk to work:?

so, really it does work out closer to 1 hour from db to tst.... (i used to live in db....)

whereas: driving from our house to TST is: country park to highway (sai sha road) 20 minutes. highway via eagle nest tunnel 20 minutes max.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I was told Aberdeen only had moorings rather than marina-based houseboats, but I could be wrong. Never been there to check it out.
    Aberdeen has both but both are in short supply and high demand.

ps> don't get me wrong. i loved living in db. i loved the sense of community, the ferry ride (yes, i enjoyed that time and never felt like it was a burden), the playgrounds for the kids etc.

but i think we left at the right time. it's gotten ridiculously expensive over there... even the family taking the ferry to central and back (for a day out) would cost almost $200 return.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    From DB - Central by ferry: 25 mins
    Walk from DB pier to star ferry pier - 2 minutes
    Ferry from Central to TST: 8 mins

So - around 35 plus whatever time you need at each end to connect up. No worse than having to drive from Sai Kung - at least the ferries are reasonably relaxing and you don't have to deal with traffic.
    So 35 minutes + about 15 to 20 minutes with all the wait and walks, all in all at least 50 min.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Aberdeen has both but both are in short supply and high demand.
    Yup, that's correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    I think the major cause of congestion in HK is buses,minibuses, trucks, taxi...not private car (unless mistaken the % of the population who owns a car is relatively low).
    I don't agree... I think the major cause of congestion is those seven-seater Alphards etc which park anywhere they like and even double-park on Lyndhurst Terrace, Queen's Road East and so on. Their numbers are growing and their drivers are rich enough not to care about getting ticketed.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    I don't agree... I think the major cause of congestion is those seven-seater Alphards etc which park anywhere they like and even double-park on Lyndhurst Terrace, Queen's Road East and so on. Their numbers are growing and their drivers are rich enough not to care about getting ticketed.
    I don't think Bryant English comes to lyndhurst terrace that often though.
    bookblogger likes this.

Hello OP,
    Have a look at South Lantau. For us, with a toddler, Mui Wo is the best place to be. We live in a village house in one of the villages around the town.

We have a beach, a playground , a swimming pool, 2 small supermarkets, nice restaurants. There is a nice expat community too. Expat or Chinese, people are friendly.
    There are several playgroups for different ages.We attend one linked to a local kindergarten.

Commute to Tst is 30 minutes on the ferry to Central then under 10 minutes crossing over. It's a chilled ferry ride. You get to chat with people, read a book, have a nap. It's time just for yourself. I enjoy it.
    Maybe you want to check it out?

Last edited by Siesta; 22-05-2012 at 07:45 AM.
    bookblogger likes this.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast