Like Tree19Likes

Moving to Hk confused.com

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Smile Moving to Hk confused.com

Hi Everyone,
    Me, my hubby and 2 year old son will be possibly (huge) be moving to Hk this oct 2012.
    I have a few Q I would really appreciate your answers.
    I have been looking at areas to live and quite like Sai Kung/CWB area. My hubby will be working in Tsin Sha Tsui and I appreciate this might be a long commute and we were looking into buying a car for my hubby to travel to work and back.
    Is there any other areas to consider our budget will be 40-45k a month, 3 bed min, and preferably a village house.

As I'm not going to be working I would like to be near a community where I could meet people and not feel too isolated and shops and beaches etc I can get to easily without the car.

Also is there toddler groups etc???
    What age do I need to put his name down for a school???

Also bit random but approx how much a month will electricity, gas,water,cable,broadband be???
    Thanks in Advance 😃

clearwater bay is, with the exception of the tiny silverstrand "shopping" centre--supermarket & estate agents, not much else, entirely residential. it would be difficult to "pop" down to the shops or to meet up for a coffee with friends, unless you take public transport or drive.

sai kung "town centre" has a lot more of a village feel and is surrounded by other, smaller villages. so, depending on which village you choose, you still may have to take public transport or drive to town for shopping and meeting up with friends. it has a little more to offer than clear water bay.

$40-45k/month should get you an entire village house, 4-5 bedrooms, rooftop, and possibly garden & parking space.

school: when to put your child's name down for school depends on where you want him to go. do you want international/english education, or are you interested in having him attend a local chinese kindergarten? there is a kindergarten in sai kung, called Lok Yuk, which is great. classes are conducted in cantonese, with english and putonghua classes throughout the week. there are lots of expat kids there, from a variety of countries. my two kids have attended there (daughter is still a student) and have really enjoyed it. my son is now attending a local primary school, chinese section and doing very well.

there are playgroups around, but i can't offer any ideas as my two are to old now.

gas: if you rent a village house in sai kung, chances are you will use bottled LPG. it's about $250 or so for a big bottle delivered. if you call them in the morning, they will deliver in the afternoon.

water: it will depend on if you have a garden that needs caring for or not. we spend about $2000/quarter.

cable/broadband: there are dozens of threads about this.

Good advice from Carang but may I ask OP, have you visited Hong Kong yet? I would advise keeping an open mind as we thought the idea of a village house in Sai Kung was appealing to us - until we arrived. Was not what we expected. I hasten to add that of course it works for many people and this is in absolutely no way a criticism of them.

what satay sue says is correct. some people love living in village houses (we do)... others love living in the middle of everything (not my cup of tea).

Thanks for your replys guys.
    I've never been to HK before so don't have a clue. My hubby has been but only in the centre so he doesn't really know where to live either!
    I just think I'll prefer the village life but I'm open to anything really. We will be making a trip out there at some point so I know what to expect and will plan to look at some accommodation!
    Satay Sue where did u end up living if you don't mind me asking, what was it about Sai Kung you didn't like?
    Thanks for all the info I really appreciate it. X

sai kung is laid back, know your neighbour, small town feel. takes about 30-40 minutes to get to central. my kids roam the village with the other under 10s and play hide and seek, go from home to home playing (much like i did as a kid). weekend bbqs are the norm (we all have our own bbqs in our gardens). while not as convenient, for many of us, it's awesome.

mid-levels (where ss lives, i believe) is in the middle of everything, highrise living. shops/restaurants literally downstairs. a lot more hustle and bustle. takes 15 minutes to get to central etc.

VERY different feeling.

also: $40-45k will get you an entire house (2100'), 4-5 beds, 4 baths, garden etc in a village house... in mid-levels, you may get 1200-1500', if lucky with a balcony.

Last edited by carang; 20-05-2012 at 09:04 PM.
    Poopoolala79 likes this.

It wasn't that I "didn't like" Sai Kung, but that it was further away from Central than we had been led to believe, not by people on this forum but well-meaning friends who already lived here- though none of whom actually lived in Sai Kung. Mr SS started work at 6.30am in Central which was also a factor!

Last edited by Satay Sue; 20-05-2012 at 09:09 PM.

You do get a larger property for your budget in Sai Kung though. Incidentally, we have moved recently to Kennedy Town - very different to both Mid-levels AND Sai Kung, more down to earth and with a bustling atmosphere, but we did enjoy our stay in Mid-levels, I'm glad we did it that way round.

sorry, ss, i didn't know you'd moved!
    ps> if i'd had to be at work at 630 in central, there is no way i'd want to live in sai kung either... although, if you drive, at that time of the day it would only take about 30 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    sorry, ss, i didn't know you'd moved!
    Only 5 days ago
    Last edited by Satay Sue; 20-05-2012 at 09:25 PM.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast