Like Tree15Likes

Opinion's needed! (Discovery Bay)

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    DBIS isn't an esf school Discovery College is an ESF school
    Sorry I meant DC, not DBIS. Thanks Carang.

Just to be clear, DC are crap because of their policy of having an open catchment area on a isolated island of all places (what kind of logic is this??? Most of their other schools in the city where it makes more sense DONT have open catchment areas). DBIS suck because of their reverse waiting list.

If OP has a place at DBIS, great. Go for it! It will save you all the stress and hassle.
    carang and Satay Sue like this.

Other than the school situation, are most of you over all happy living in HK? I am really nervous about apartment style living. We now at least have a small back yard w/garden, that we take pleasure in growing Veggies. What are the positives and negs of DB living? Thanks!

Read through more of the threads and so a search. This kind of thing comes up every week.

I will! Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Coler4:
    Other than the school situation, are most of you over all happy living in HK? I am really nervous about apartment style living. We now at least have a small back yard w/garden, that we take pleasure in growing Veggies. What are the positives and negs of DB living? Thanks!
    It really is going to depend on your budget and what is available when you look. You may ($s permitting) get a ground floor unit with a small garden but I doubt you'd have much space to grow veggies.

For me, + and - of DB are:

+
    Open space - I have beautiful views over mountains, sea, city
    Well maintained area - lovely landscape beautifully kept
    Al freso life - coffee by the bay, eating options for outside
    Being near the water - my soul isn't right when I can't see the sea
    Mainly low volume traffic - apart from the main road there is relatively low volume traffic
    Low density living - I live in a low density area and low the quietness of it all

-
    I find it a bit insular - I was a bit taken aback when I first arrived that people were questioning me as to my background as they hadn't seen me before (not at all HKG-like)
    Limited options (eating/shopping/entertainment) without leaving DB
    Bus services excellent, wish they allowed a few more mins after arriving before ferry departs
    That sickening feeling when you just miss the ferry - even though it will be a maximum of a half-hour until the next one (unless you're out in the very early hours)
    I had real issues getting to/from the doctor after seriously injuring my foot, due to mobility I couldn't take the ferry and the only other option (apart from buses which were also not feasible) is a very expensive hire car
    It doesn't 'feel' like Hong Kong

I really did move to DB for my dog, didn't want him having a life of pounding concrete pavements and wanted him to have the option of a beach swim now and then. I have lived in Hong Kong almost all my life and am very much a city girl. I miss just grabbing a taxi and going to see a movie, popping out to a specific little eatery I enjoy, staying really late at work and knowing I'll be home in 10 mins. Re above, running to catch a ferry!

I definitely see the attraction for people with kids (and like me with dogs). Great for people who work at the airport or Cathay City.

Good luck with whatever you decide. If you would like the name of an excellent real estate agent for DB I'll be happy to PM you with one.
    SiuMaiTaiTai and Coler4 like this.

but you can pop onto a bus and catch a movie in tung chung... we did it weekly.

Fiona in HKG likes this.

ahh those blooming dogs don't know how good they have it ! We moved for our dog too, when I told my parents, they were speechless ha!

Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    but you can pop onto a bus and catch a movie in tung chung... we did it weekly.
    True....I used to be able to do it in 5 mins, that's what I miss I guess carang

so, fiona, instead of 5 minutes, it takes 15-20... it's not like where i am now.... 20-40 minute drive to the nearest cinema.

Fiona in HKG likes this.

carang:

Why not move back to DB? Isn't it close to your centre?