Like Tree10Likes

The age old question. Teaching English in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The age old question. Teaching English in HK

Dear all,

What would be the best qualification to get to teach Englishin HK and what would I expect to get as a starting salary with no experience?

I am a westerner from the UK and have a BSc Degree I alreadyhave accommodation so that won’t be needed.

Thanks for any ideas.

The best qualifications are CELTA or Trinity CertTesol. Salary ranges between 17-25k roughly, depends where you teach (since you have no experience I imagine a learning centre would be less daunting to begin with than local school/kindergarten). Read all contracts carefully, check annual leave, working hours, sick leave details as a lot of people come here, get a job and visa sponsorship only to find their jobs unbearable. Good luck and try to talk to other NETs working at the establishment you apply to before signing the contract.

Thanks Ms Poppins,

Useful information. Maybe I will do a genral poll to find out how hard teaching is on the one hand I have good Chinese contacts on HK but I am very green when it comes to getting work.

If you want an easy teaching job come to China, get a job for around 7000 RMB with accommodation (or assistance) and a bonus of 7-9k at the end.

You can then get a Chinese girlfriend (if you ask the school they may provide one) and learn Chinese on the side, drink heaps of Baijiu and enjoy yourself.

The *best* qualification for teaching English here depends on what kind of English you want to teach and where.

For a language centre, or possibly (no guarantees) PNET in the EdB scheme, then yes, go with CELTA or Trinity.

For SNET or working as a subject teacher (maybe even science? I don't know your major), then PGDE or at least PGCE would be a better investment in the first instance.

you want to teach because you think it's easy???

please don't be a teacher.

Just so we are clear I did not mention easy I asked what's best. I have a HK wife already so that space has been filled but thanks for the thoughts. I my ask if I can have a second one although I think I know the answer.

Carang. Thanks for the useful info. There is nothing like help.

FYI I tought my wife how to pronounce roll and row properly so I may put that on my empty teaching CV

You wanted to make a poll to ask how hard teaching is.... I read that to mean you wanted something easy to do.

Being a good teacher is hard work.

Ms.poppins gave you the information you asked for, did she not?

Last edited by carang; 12-06-2012 at 12:35 AM.
    BaconBreadBaker and Oxygen like this.

Ps. if you go back and read my posts you will see that I often answer these types of questions. They are asked on a very regular basis and I try always to be helpful.

But again, it sounded to me like you were looking for an easy option.

Last edited by carang; 12-06-2012 at 12:35 AM.
    Oxygen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxygen:
    I my ask if I can have a second one although I think I know the answer.

FYI I tought my wife how to pronounce roll and row properly so I may put that on my empty teaching CV
    That's why I like MS Spell Checker.
    Oxygen likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast