Like Tree1Likes

Moving to HK end of August - general advice

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Just one or two sweaters/jumpers/cardigans will do.

Definitely not if you feel the cold! 12 degrees here in humidity feels much colder than 12 degrees in the UK - probably more like what 7 or 8 might feel like in the UK. In that weather I wear a winter coat, and for about 6 weeks will be in jumpers too etc. On a couple of occasions have needed gloves and hat.

People sit in coats in the office here as there's no heating!

kpelszyn likes this.

If you have UK appliances they will work here no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    Definitely not if you feel the cold! 12 degrees here in humidity feels much colder than 12 degrees in the UK - probably more like what 7 or 8 might feel like in the UK. In that weather I wear a winter coat, and for about 6 weeks will be in jumpers too etc. On a couple of occasions have needed gloves and hat.

People sit in coats in the office here as there's no heating!

My word, you must think its Arctic conditions in the UK then.

Lighten up. Some people just have this NEED to wear winter clothes in winter. I see the same thing in So.Cal. when I go back to visit at Christmas--people walking at the beach wearing gloves, scarves, Uggs...

For people just moving here from the UK, winter probably won't feel too bad ... except there's no central heating here. Until your oil column heater warms up after you get home, if it's 12 degrees outside, it's the same inside.
    And it can get quite a bit colder, specially if you live in the New Territories. It would be a rare winter with no sub-5 degrees Celsius days around Yuen Long/ Shek Kong. The coldest day I've experienced here was the one time I've ever been to the Jockey Club premises out at Beas River: the maximum there was MINUS 2.

Thanks - I have sorted schools.

I will bring our winter stuff then!