Like Tree73Likes

Groceries!

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dear giant:
    The HK govt is not protecting HKers from the Mainland. Civil servants and others who should be safeguarding HK are just going through the motions.
    The Centre for Food Safety seems to me to be doing rather more than "going through the motions". Are do you claim that in fact all the testing done is just a sham? (They test over 7000 food samples from shops, and other 4000 samples from imported animals every month, for example)

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    The Centre for Food Safety seems to me to be doing rather more than "going through the motions". Are do you claim that in fact all the testing done is just a sham? (They test over 7000 food samples from shops, and other 4000 samples from imported animals every month, for example)
    (1.) Are CFS and FEH workers checking smuggled veg, meat, etc. as it enters HK? *crickets chirping*

(2.) Re the checks that they do perform.... You can cite the number of samples that they take. Where did you get that info? Now, why didn't the same source tell you what % of samples fail which tests each month, which suppliers they were taken from, etc.? where are the published reports? I can find plenty of articles in the local Chinese-language press about tainted/poisoned food ... but no notices on the CFS site, for example, though there are nice PDFs telling you how to carefully prepare shellfish at home.

(3.) Apple and other Western companies inspect their suppliers' factories in China as well and, amazingly enough, their reports are generally positive with minor complaints ... though that tends to contrast with workers' accounts. Do you get that inspections can be gamed, that if you come in your official uniform, or have been coming long enough that I know who you are, and ask to buy some of what I'm selling, that I can choose or "help" you to choose items that won't get me into trouble? That, with forewarning from people who see you coming, if all of my wares are dodgy, I can shut up shop for a few minutes until you're gone?

Potemkin village

Are you one of those people who says that there are no hawkers in HK anymore and no pirate DVD/software sellers?
    Last edited by dear giant; 21-06-2012 at 04:12 PM.

(1.) Are CFS and FEH workers checking smuggled veg, meat, etc. as it enters HK? *crickets chirping*
    Well obviously not because if it is detected as it enters Hong Kong then it wouldn't be imported! But if it reaches retail outlets then I don't see why it wouldn't be picked up by random testing as per any other items there,
    (2.) Re the checks that they do perform.... You can cite the number of samples that they take. Where did you get that info? Now, why didn't the same source tell you what % of samples fail which tests each month, which suppliers they were taken from, etc.? where are the published reports?
    The monthly report with details of how many samples failed which tests are readily available on the CFS website. Where food is deemed unsafe then the food is withdrawn from sale and notices are immediately issued warning against its consumption. There are a couple of these most months on the CFS website.
    (3.) Apple and other Western companies inspect their suppliers' factories in China as well and, amazingly enough, their reports are generally positive with minor complaints ... though that tends to contrast with workers' accounts. Do you get that inspections can be gamed, that if you come in your official uniform, or have been coming long enough that I know who you are, and ask to buy some of what I'm selling, that I can choose or "help" you to choose items that won't get me into trouble?
    And China is different in this respect from the rest of the world how exactly?
    Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 21-06-2012 at 04:23 PM.

What about food? Is food safe in Hong Kong?

And on specific outlets, the FEHD regularly raids unlicensed establishments and closes licensed places down for serious breaches, and these are publicised on their Press Releases page. To pick three recent examples at random:
    Press Release
    Press Release
    Press Release

I gave you links to three recent Chinese-language articles describing food scandals in HK. Are those HK reporters closet imperialists too?
    Those reports were from the government - reporting the fact that they found problems and stopped them. No different than the NYC inspections I pointed out to you. That shows they are doing their job and then they are reporting on their findings, just like NYC inspectors.
    As already discussed, we don't have more huge food scandals because the amount of checking going on is meager and the negative effects of the tainted/poisoned food are gradual and cumulative.
    That was not a discussion, but rather your delusional conclusion.

There is nothing gradual about melamine poisoning; it shows up pretty damn quickly.
    You keep claiming that melamine is going on up north still, stuff is coming into Hong Kong and yet, we have no poisonings. Obviously, one or more of your assertions are bovine excrement.

And on specific outlets, the FEHD regularly raids unlicensed establishments and closes licensed places down for serious breaches, and these are publicised on their Press Releases page. To pick three recent examples at random:
    Press Release
    Press Release
    Press Release
    Thanks for linking those and the page listing the food safety reports.

As you must have noticed, the food safety reports do not, unfortunately, include any information about where the samples that failed food safety checks (or even those that passed) were taken.

And China is different in this respect from the rest of the world how exactly?
    HK: Less enforcement overall. Less vigorous enforcement. Offenders more likely to successfully evade going-through-the-motions enforcement.

Alternatively, there are no illegal hawkers or pirated software shops either.

I linked a report from Jan 2012 regarding HK's air quality as of end-of-year 2011.
    No, you linked to a short, sensationalist newspaper article.
    You've linked a report that includes charts of particular pollutants up to 2007 and a table with data comparisons between 1997 and 2003. Even they don't support your assertions.
    At least they are real with substance. I didnt post it to support my assertions but rather to teach you to find better sources.
    Your trolling me is OK (though it gets a bit ridiculous when you begin to scold me for not spending more time debunking your outlandish claims
    I'm not trolling you but rather trying to balance your negativity.
    I dont care if you debunk anything; I'm scolding you for posting unsubstantiated sensationalist articles instead of providing decent sources.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    No, you linked to a short, sensationalist newspaper article.
    At least they are real with substance. I didnt post it to support my assertions but rather to teach you to find better sources.
    I'm not trolling you but rather trying to balance your negativity.
    I dont care if you debunk anything; I'm scolding you for posting unsubstantiated sensationalist articles instead of providing decent sources.
    You post outdated information that, even so, contradicts your stated positions ... but you're doing so for the very best of motives.

I see.
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Those reports were from the government - reporting the fact that they found problems and stopped them. No different than the NYC inspections I pointed out to you. That shows they are doing their job and then they are reporting on their findings, just like NYC inspectors.
    That was not a discussion, but rather your delusional conclusion.

There is nothing gradual about melamine poisoning; it shows up pretty damn quickly.
    You keep claiming that melamine is going on up north still, stuff is coming into Hong Kong and yet, we have no poisonings. Obviously, one or more of your assertions are bovine excrement.
    Do you ever get tired of being wrong?

It shows up first in (small-body-mass) pets and children fed exclusively melamine-tainted food and even then it took months of daily consumption for the effects to show on tiny bodies. That's why we were treated to reports of gruesome child deaths in China and pet deaths abroad. Adults with kidney stones or kidney failure will always be fobbed off with some other cause.

Temporal complications also amplified risk in this case – it took some time for the melamine contamination to be discovered, because harmful effects only became evident following a gradual build-up of melamine (due to chronic consumption) in the systems of the infants.
    Last edited by dear giant; 21-06-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: added info

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast