Like Tree73Likes

Groceries!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Groceries!

Hi all,
    Well-it looks like I'm on my way to HK this August and trying to work out a monthly grocery budget. I generally eat pretty healthy choices (not a strictly whole foods or organic girl) but I definitely enjoy great veg, fruits, whole grain breads and low fat dairy. Any suggestions on where to shop and some potential suggestions for a monthly grocery budget for one person? Thanks all!

3000HKD

Mix of markets, local supermarkets and western supermarkets.

I do a family of 5 on 9k or 10k...

that sounds about right. we do a family of 4 (plus 2 dogs and 3 rabbits) on about $10k. we use a frozen meat shop, wellcome supermarket and splurge once in a while at a shop that sells american/canadian products.

bryant.english likes this.

It depends how much time you want to spend shopping and exactly how healthy you want your veggies to be. A lot of people here will only eat non-Chinese meat/vegetables because of the scares over contamination in China. If that;s you, hard to see how you can buy them in wet markets where it's unclear (unless, of course, you can ask in cantonese!) where anything comes from. Which leaves you buying from relatively more expensive supermarkets with better labeling. Also, buying from the cheapest places means trailing round to multiple shops/markets, whereas if you want to do the convenient thing you just buy all in one big supermarket which is more expensive.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Also, buying from the cheapest places means trailing round to multiple shops/markets
    Unless you have a car, a helper, or both, in which case it's no inconvenience whatsoever....
    Matt_NT likes this.

Thanks all! Great food for thought (no pun intended). 

You will have a difficult time surviving in HK, as a western person, for less than HK$100 per day on food/drink, not including alcohol.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jobin:
    You will have a difficult time surviving in HK, as a western person, for less than HK$100 per day on food/drink, not including alcohol.
    BS! I do it all the time. I'm western, eat well/ healthy, work and eat in Central and could easily afford more, but really no need. Covering all expenses for HK$100/ day might be tough, but not just food. A reasonable food budget for a single female is HK$3000-4000 per month, excluding expensive morning coffees and liquor.

$3000 is about right for a good quality diet. We spend about double that as a couple (but do tend to eat imported meat/fish/dairy), very few processed foods (imported stuff can be $$$) and imported or organic produce.

Quote Originally Posted by elliee:
    BS! I do it all the time. I'm western, eat well/ healthy, work and eat in Central and could easily afford more, but really no need. Covering all expenses for HK$100/ day might be tough, but not just food. A reasonable food budget for a single female is HK$3000-4000 per month, excluding expensive morning coffees and liquor.
    3-4k a month is 100-133 a day, with the upper limit being more than 30% above budget. Seems living on less than 100 a day isn't that easy after all.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast