Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Onyxwhisky
  • 1 Post By Maracas Bay

Sai Kung/Clearwater Bay v Discovery Bay

Closed Thread

Sai Kung/Clearwater Bay v Discovery Bay

Hi Everyone,

We are moving to HK quite soon and debating between Clearwater Bay area and Discovery Bay and I would be really grateful for some advice on the 2 areas.

DB seems like the easy option as it is small and I assume the 2 clubs are where all the mums and kids meet - is that right? Do families also go to the clubs at the w.e? Do the clubs run the majority of the kiddy classes ( eg ballet,swimming) or are they held in various places? Finally, do you need a golf buggy with small kids?

Does Sai Kung/Clearwater have a similar gym/club scene that is family friendly and not too expensive?

I am trying to work out where it will be easiest for me and the kids to meet other mums and do classes etc and also somewhere where we can go as a family at the w.e.

The thing that is holding me back from DB is the transport options, particularly when you are coming home late.

Thanks!

Bit difficult to experience the real HK if you live on db. Then again, maybe that's what you prefer.

This post is getting a bit old but hey, what the heck. I'll answer since no one else has.

Can't talk for Sai Kung/CWB but I did live in DB for 2 years so will chip in my 2 cents. DB is a great place for families with millions of mummies and kids running around.

But, you should be aware that even if you live in Discovery Bay, you are not entitled to free access to the clubs. In fact the clubs are quite restrictive and you have to pay a lot if you want the full works (pool, gym, classes, etc). Nothing, and I repeat nothing, is free in DB!

A lot of families hang out around The Plaza, which is the sort of central meeting point by the ferry pier surrounded by restaurants and what not. (Or, to be more precise, the parents tend to sit around with beers from the 7-11 while the kids run wild!) People are ALWAYS hanging around there.

There are lots of classes for kids though, they have signs up everywhere. Art, ballet, Chinese lessons, you name it.

As for the golf cart -- Not sure how many millions you have in the bank but you will need roughly HKD 1 mill if you want to get a golf cart of your own (and yes, I'm not joking!). Most people rely on the internal buses, which run in time with the ferry, or they just walk if they live close enough. It is good for getting exercise! If you live close to the ferry then you are close to the Plaza and the supermarkets (10-15 min walk). If you live on the other side of DB, like WAY on the other side, it isn't practical to walk. You'd have to take a bus for sure.

The ferry is really quite comfortable, about 30 mins to Central. Much better than the horrid noisy busy crowded MTR. And on the ferry you are guaranteed a nice comfy seat to read/sleep/use WiFi/drink beer etc etc. But, be warned your life will start to revolve around ferry timings to make sure you don't miss them.

For me the green, quiet environment in DB outweighed these minor inconveniences/restrictions, and I don't even have kids. I just liked having green mountains around me, and being able to walk out the door and go hiking. I also like how you can hop on the little old boats that go to other nearby islands and bays, such as Mui Wo, Peng Chau, and what not. Makes for good weekend outings too.

sw18 likes this.

i am pretty sure i answered this already as i have lived in all three places, clear water bay, sai kung and db....

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    i am pretty sure i answered this already as i have lived in all three places, clear water bay, sai kung and db....
    you did indeed...1000+ times
    carang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Onyxwhisky:
    you did indeed...1000+ times
    and yet, people don't do a search and keep asking the question...

Thanks for taking the time to respond. It's nice to get lots of different points of view.