Like Tree86Likes

Moving to Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13

Original Post Deleted
    Don't have much to comment on anything else, but for the benefit of the OP this is absolutely true. Strollers are great on the MTR. Unlike the bus or minibus or taxis, you don't need to remove all the bags, toys, food, etc. and fold the whole thing up. Most stations have elevators or at least ramps and escalators for easy exit and entrance. Most transfers are done by simply walking across a platform. It's a dream, really. With our kids, when I was looking a year ago, one of my priorities was to live near or on top of the MTR for this reason. My two months ahead of my family tipped me off as to what would be the easiest course of action. Take Mat's and Moving's advice. Come here and look around. Everywhere. You'll find great surprises. My final choice was between a newly refurbished huge duplex in An old building in Jordan near Kowloon Park and a smaller 1000 sq ft apartment in an estate with great amenities in Fo Tan. Those who live here already know those choices could not be more different. I chose the latter, but you will find all sorts of things that suit your tastes. So be open.
    MovingIn07 and chingleutsch like this.

My two cents... I think PP will be a perfect place for the first 6 weeks. How many times have people said on this forum "don't decide on a place to live until you have been here and looked around"" and, in my opinion, this is as good a place as any to do this from.
    Arguing over the ratio of families to business people in tower 2 of Pacific Place and what the gradient is in the walk to the botanical gardens is pretty trivial as in all likelihood the OP and her family will be out getting a feel for different areas that suit them to live but coming back to a nice quiet hotel to relax and regroup for the next days house hunting.

TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rathunt:
    My two cents... I think PP will be a perfect place for the first 6 weeks.
    The OP will be staying 6 weeks (for free) in the headlands hotel that's situated in Cathay Pacific City. She is seeking suggestions for more permanent digs.

Would you recommend PP for an extended stay for her, toddler and pilot husband?

I find it quite hillarious that HC who has been espousing the virtues of Happy Valley is now considering moving to the Gold Coast. I do fine the GC quite a nice choice actually, for the right kind of person who does not need to get to Central too often and wants a bit more space and/or to be closer to China, but its quite a change from HV, with all its delicatessens and local laundries etc that Howard seems to be so fond of!

Regarding the OPs comments: "It's hard enough as it is pushing a stroller, but imagine if I had to do a shop as well? It could be difficult carrying shopping, pushing stroller and having to go a long way or even get a cab." let me add in a few further comments supporting the comments about Park Island as a great option.

Pask Island is flat - very smooth paths, and no traffic. Park Island, Ma Wan, Hong Kong: Photos of Park Island

The are nice swimming pools on Park Island Park Island, Ma Wan, Hong Kong: Pool facilities on Park Island

Access to the airport is with regular shuttle busses that go to and from the Airport to Park Island every 30 minutes. Its 20 mins to Central by ferry, 15-20 mins by taxi, depending on traffic. 10 Mins to Tsing Yi by bus.

In terms of facilities for kids, apart from being car free, and the outdoor spaces, there are also really nice places for kids to play indoors Park Island, Ma Wan, Hong Kong: Children's playrooms on Park Island

Prices are very affordable, and 25-30K will get you a really nice large affordable apartment Park Island, Ma Wan, Hong Kong: Combined units on Park Island

So my suggestion to the OP is to seriously consider PI as it does seem to meet her needs.

MovingIn07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by randy1:
    I find it quite hillarious that HC who has been espousing the virtues of Happy Valley is now considering moving to the Gold Coast.
    I love NYC too but moved to Hong Kong. Do you find that funny too? You're a strange man...
    let me add in a few further comments supporting the comments about Park Island as a great option.
    I knew you'd be along soon to profess your love of PI..
    Prices are very affordable, and 25-30K will get you a really nice large affordable apartment
    The OP, due to her hubby's status as a pilot has been offered Pacific place for similar amount of money. Gritty thinks this would make an awesome choice. Would you care to comment on this as well?

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    The OP will be staying 6 weeks (for free) in the headlands hotel that's situated in Cathay Pacific City. She is seeking suggestions for more permanent digs.

Would you recommend PP for an extended stay for her, toddler and pilot husband?
    I didn't think that was ever an option to move permanently into PP and I wasn't recommending it - merely stating that it was a pretty good base to conduct a search from.
    Pilots and their families live all over Hong Kong and the OP's choice will come down to their personal feel for the place and the flats/houses they end up seeing when they go and look around but I think apart from the list of options that Mat gave for them on about page 3 we have had an argument over PP versus the Gold Coast (with the standard Randy suggesting Park Island), when PP was, as you and I said, merely a temporary base to find a permament spot.
    Anyway if, in the 6 weeks stay they do fall in love with the place and end up living there then I doubt it will be because of anything discussed here.

HC - I am not going to start calling people names. (I assume "Gritty" refers to "The Brit").

As to whether I think PP is a good choice for the OP, well perhaps for the first 6 weeks, if they want easy access to the shopping mall, check out a few restaurants in Soho, Wanchai, perhaps check out apartments in the Mid Levels, go to the landscaped gardens behind PP, etc its not a bad choice. Remember, in the first 6 weeks you might also need to be central to do various admin stuff, open bank accts, HKID, etc.

But longer term, I feel Central HK is not a good place for kids (especially if the family is from overseas). The pollution, cars, noise, density, humidity, lound beeping and announcements on the MTR, people smoking in the pavements, jackhammers, uneven pavements, etc -its all too intense for a parent with a kid and can really be stressful for Westerners who are not used to it (not to mention potentially dangerous).

So my view is much more in favour of a beling loated in a nice relaxed family place, where the husband then travels from to work as needed. If the wife is happy it really makes a huge difference to a family's overall happiness, so to me its very important that the live in a relaxed peaceful location.

Last edited by randy1; 19-07-2012 at 10:58 AM.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

But longer term, I feel Central HK is not a good place for kids (especially if the family is from overseas). The pollution, cars, noise, density, humidity, lound beeping and announcements on the MTR, people smoking in the pavements, jackhammers, uneven pavements, etc -its all too intense for a parent with a kid and can really be stressful for Westerners who are not used to it (not to mention potentially dangerous).
    So my view is much more in favour of a beling loated in a nice relaxed family place, where the husband then travels from to work as needed. If the wife is happy it really makes a huge difference to a family's overall happiness, so to me its very important that the live in a relaxed peaceful location.
    I'm glad you said this. Not only because you agree with my viewpoint but (miracle of all miracles) you didnt mention PI once in such a long post. Hallelujah!
    Last edited by Editor; 19-07-2012 at 11:32 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13