Like Tree86Likes

Moving to Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kd2011:
    No he is just approaching 2 but don't know what age schooling starts in HK, just to reiterate our houseing is 20,000$ not 30,000$. I'm pretty new to this and only found out today was hoping people could tell me from there past experiences
    Only 20k housing for a pilot? Ouch. ummmm...not too fun. You should get more, much more.

20k will get you about 700 real sq ft, advertised as 1000-1100 sq ft.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile

Please ignore hknumberone... he's our latest troll...

generally speaking, you don't "negotiate" with cathay. you accept or you don't.

as for $20k being enough for a family of 4? of course it is! we live out in the middle of nowhere and pay that rent. we have 5 beds, 4 baths & a garden... but to get that, you really need to live in the boonies. if you are willing to compromise on space, you will definitely find something "suitable". please remember, "suitable" does not equate with "the same as 'home'"

cw1483, chingleutsch and elle like this.

How do you mean? Is 20k not enough a month for a good property?
    It is ok but definitely won't have anything special. Are you getting allowance for schooling? What about his salary?

Looking at a small flat but you can go to a place in Tung Chung or Tsing Yi and get a flat, 2 or 3 bedrooms.

How big is your place in USA?

Do you realize life is different here?

Quote Originally Posted by booth:
    Only 20k housing for a pilot? Ouch. ummmm...not too fun. You should get more, much more.
    Well all Cathay pilots are on a standard scale, and it's still one of the best in the world apparently given the very high ration of applications to jobs!

$20K per month is fine for a smallish place. Many Cathay pilots looking for quieter locations live in the villages of South Lantau (Pui O, Tong Fuk, etc). $20K gets you a reasonable place there.
    carang and chingleutsch like this.

Cara, would you recommend a Sai Kung to airport commute though?

I agree, he currently works for a well know British airlines, and he will earn roughly the Same as here, but we wont have to pay for our property or bills and he will get taxed less her, so for me it's a win/win situation. He is 23 by the way.

I agree, he currently works for a well know British airlines, and he will earn roughly the Same as here, but we wont have to pay for our property or bills and he will get taxed less her, so for me it's a win/win situation. He is 23 by the way.
    If you are up for an adventure, why not.

sai kung to the airport is about 45-60 minutes drive. and yes, why not? there is a pilot in our village who commutes (he's a trainer at cathay).

i commute to tsing yi regularly. it takes about 40 minutes from door-to-door. if i lived closer to sk town, it would be 15 minutes less.

besides, it is highway driving for about 90% of the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by booth:
    Cara, would you recommend a Sai Kung to airport commute though?
    Many Cathay people do. It's no big deal if you're doing long haul and you're only doing the commute 2 or 3 times each month.
    carang likes this.

I did not know that. Good to know.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast