Like Tree86Likes

Moving to Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Well from what you guys are saying there ain't really any point in getting a car, I been looking on the mtf site and it cheap enough to get aroung on that and the trains are pretty frequent, it's only really the airport express that is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Kd2011:
    Well from what you guys are saying there ain't really any point in getting a car, I been looking on the mtf site and it cheap enough to get aroung on that and the trains are pretty frequent, it's only really the airport express that is expensive
    Yes, although depends where you want to live. The Mtr isn't everywhere.

We far going to take the apartment in the pacific place on hong kong island. It means that we can rent our home in England out with furniture and we wont have to bring any furniture over to hong kong. And hong kong island is pretty central to the city. The mtr give us access everywhere and my husband is straight to the airport as well, we won't need a car straight away. So for us it's the best place to stay

We far going to take the apartment in the pacific place on hong kong island. It means that we can rent our home in England out with furniture and we wont have to bring any furniture over to hong kong. And hong kong island is pretty central to the city. The mtr give us access everywhere and my husband is straight to the airport as well, we won't need a car straight away. So for us it's the best place to stay
    i can't think of a less child-friendly place on HK island to live on a long term basis (it would be fine for a month or so while getting your bearings and checking out other areas). you may want to consider that there will be almost no other children living in this building, you will be surrounded by high rise offices (this is not primarily a residential area), there are no facilities for children, and many of the residents are single professionals and there for a short time, so little chance it having a neighborly feel. you will have access to a pool (I think the Conrad's), and Hong Kong park is right there, but there aren't really any other areas for children (especially indoor playrooms, which are important in the summer heat/ rain) nearby. Many residental buildings (especially newer ones) will have on-site playrooms. There are also private (use for a fee, like Wise Kids) and public playrooms in Hong Kong, but none in Admiralty that I am aware of. Agree that Admiralty is centrally located, but that is just about all the area has going for it in terms of residential appeal.
    Last edited by elliee; 17-07-2012 at 11:09 AM.
    HowardCoombs and Molie like this.

Nice place, very swank. But IMO you might be the only family there and the area has an office/corporate feel to it. You are really not immersing yourself into HK life though.

Should I bring Christmas decorations or can I purchase them in HK?

We are packing for our move to HK and I was wondering is it easy to pick up Christmas decorations or should I pack some of mine? What else is hard to find in HK that I might want to bring with me? I was also wondering, where are the best places to buy furniture? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Coler4:
    We are packing for our move to HK and I was wondering is it easy to pick up Christmas decorations or should I pack some of mine? What else is hard to find in HK that I might want to bring with me? I was also wondering, where are the best places to buy furniture? Thanks!
    Christmas is celebrated in HK. This is not Israel. As far as your other requests, a search of this site should yield many results that are worthy. They have been discussed ad nausem.

Quote Originally Posted by HKNumberOne:
    Christmas is celebrated in HK. This is not Israel. As far as your other requests, a search of this site should yield many results that are worthy. They have been discussed ad nausem.
    Well there is always the good ol' IKEA, yes, they have IKEA in Hong Kong too, although I don't think it's the cheapest or the best in HK.

Btw OP, is this your first time living outside your home country? It wouldn't hurt to learn some Chinese social customs, it will help lessen the cultural shock once you get here.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Btw OP, is this your first time living outside your home country? It wouldn't hurt to learn some Chinese social customs, it will help lessen the cultural shock once you get here.
    There is no real cultural shock. HK is a modern society. I've been to places like Eastern Europe and left with the opinion the people act like uncultured savages. The shock I think for most Western gwei people is that they no longer run things. The shock is when a gwei person doesnt get their way but think they should and the locals say tough sh d. Quite an amusing scene in my objective observations.
    Last edited by HKNumberOne; 17-07-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast