Will I find a short term techinical job?

Closed Thread

Will I find a short term techinical job?

Hi

I've been to Hong Kong on holiday and loved it. I'd like to go back for a 6-12 month working holiday.

I have a degree and 10+ years web development and online marketing experience. How likley would it be for me to find a company in the technical/digital industry who could accomodate a short term job and help with visa?

How is your Chinese? Are you willing to have your soul crushed by clients who demand Flash and IE6 support?

"Working holiday" has a specific meaning in terms of HK immigration - do you actually mean working holiday, or just short-term stay? What passport do you have? Do you have a degree-level qualification or higher? Are you wanting to do this quickly or would you go for a slower but more flexible route?

Am I asking too many questions?

I have a good computer science degree
    Lots of SEO experience and Web Development experience, Management experience too
    Only an English passport
    I'm learning basic chinese but not much
    I'd like to work in Hong Kong for a year, maybe longer if it worked out

At the moment I'm just looking if it will be possible. If so what I need to do next. I'm not in a rush at the moment but I would love to do it in the next year or so if the right job came up.

Ideally I'd like to find a company who could help with visa and getting setup.

Last edited by adi-uk; 02-09-2012 at 12:51 AM.

UK is not on the list of countries for the Working Holiday Scheme:

The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department

So I doubt any company will go through the hoops of applying a visa for 6-12 months or "maybe longer". Especially since what you have to offer seems to be abundant in the local market.

Best bet is to work as "freelancer" while you are vacationing in Hong Kong. But this means you are doing it illegal and the theoretical risk is that you get deported. In practice I don't think it would happen but what do I know. It also means you'd have to find somebody up-front that actually needs your services and you don't have any security (ie. no work means no income). And there are a few other things you'd have to sort out (cost of apartment/long term hotel rooms etc, if you'd find somebody to rent to you as visitor, etc).

Last edited by 100LL; 02-09-2012 at 07:31 AM.

Or don't tell the sponsor that you only plan to be there for 6-12 months.

thanks for the feedback, I think if I found the right job with a good company I would try to make it permanent. But at the moment I'm considering other options too

A: Work freelance from Hong Kong with existing clients in England, so it would be a long vacation
    B: Possibly setup my own business based in either UK or HK,

On a similar topic, in theory is it possible to setup your own company in HK and sponsor my own stay?

Sounds to me like you're a candidate for the wonderful world of QMAS!