Like Tree15Likes

Hi All~ Negotiating transfer and I have some questions (if you don't mind)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Cap - your last two posts highlighted that you are missing a fundamental part of the positives of HK - BUSES!
    You'd never take the mtr to the airport from tai wai - that's just daft - you'd take a direct airport bus or a cab. Probably 30mins on a bus.
    If you are only looking at places on the mtr corridors you'll miss a load of great places. Buses in HK are frequent, fast and often more comfortable than trains. (There ARE exceptions!).
    Also many estates provide resident shuttles to popular places - central and tst being the top two normally - so keep an eye out for those while looking around.

Re your budget, many ppl here consider 25-30 percent of salary the right amount for rent. If that helps your negos.

Cap - good plan to focus on places near the MTR - it is much more convenient and pleasant to take the MTR than local buses. Stick with your plan, don't be misled by the siren calls and suspiciously low claimed commute times by some. They are normally lower than the real time involved, and forget to add on things like walking to the bus, waiting for the bus and adverse traffic conditions. Plus... walking from the bus stop to your destination.

MTR is rarely delayed, trains leave every 2-4 minutes and most interchanges are excellent - sometimes just a few steps from one train to another.

Tai Wai is 1 hour to airport....Bus every 20 minutes so you need to wait.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile

CAP, you should look at places closer than Tai Wai first.

Check out Manathan Hill in Mei Foo (very new, great views and next to the MTR/taxi/Buses and 10 mn minibus/taxi up some fantastic country parks)

Check out Bayan Tree, Pacifica...in Lai Chi Kok

Check out Olympic area

Check out the hunghom area (Laguna Verde, Royal Peninsula...)

only if you can't find in those very convenient places then look further such as Tai Wai.

Re buses/MTR debate.

There is a lot of fight between Movingin07 and Thebrit on those boards between buses/MTR.

I have used both, both are very reliable by European standards, clean, efficient.

Buses are overall more comfortable (you can seat and not be pushed around) but less frequent obviously and more prompt to delay (obvioulsy also).

MTR at rush hour (especially on the way (Tai Wai -> TST) will be very packed (somethingThebrit does not experience since he leaves one MTR station away from his office and is in the office very early) but are on the dot, clean and a pleasure to ride by London/paris/NYC standards.

All in all check this website to get an idea on prices/size for the areas I mentionned above:
    Centadata.com - Search Result

That will give you an idea of how much $ it will cost you

Last edited by Mat; 26-07-2012 at 09:28 AM.

I don't think there's anywhere you can get 800sqft (Gross)/ 600sqft (Net) for HKD15,000, better not to even dream about getting 1000sqft (Gross)/ 800sqft (Net), aside from New Territories.

Most of Kowloon has similar rates:
    600 sqft gross (~450sqft net) is about HKD15,000 - HKD22,000

Cap will have to be realistic. Even Festival City at Taiwai will cost $18-20k for 1000sqft gross. so $15k will be just a little short for 800sqft gross

http://hk.centadata.com/eptest.aspx?...W&info=&page=0

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    CAP, you should look at places closer than Tai Wai first.

Check out Manathan Hill in Mei Foo (very new, great views and next to the MTR/taxi/Buses and 10 mn minibus/taxi up some fantastic country parks)

Check out Bayan Tree, Pacifica...in Lai Chi Kok

Check out Olympic area

Check out the hunghom area (Laguna Verde, Royal Peninsula...)

only if you can't find in those very convenient places then look further such as Tai Wai.

Re buses/MTR debate.

There is a lot of fight between Movingin07 and Thebrit on those boards between buses/MTR.

I have used both, both are very reliable by European standards, clean, efficient.

Buses are overall more comfortable (you can seat and not be pushed around) but less frequent obviously and more prompt to delay (obvioulsy also).

MTR at rush hour (especially on the way (Tai Wai -> TST) will be very packed (somethingThebrit does not experience since he leaves one MTR station away from his office and is in the office very early) but are on the dot, clean and a pleasure to ride by London/paris/NYC standards.

All in all check this website to get an idea on prices/size for the areas I mentionned above:
    Centadata.com - Search Result

That will give you an idea of how much $ it will cost you
    Last edited by zergmei; 26-07-2012 at 02:08 PM.
    TheBrit likes this.

No.

CAP will be able to negotiate a higher housing allowance (or salary) to move it to 20 K or something.

Hence the link I povided.

I'd rather negotiate a higher housing allowance than settling in directly for a place in the NT.

wouldn't we all like more money

If CAP fails in his negotiation then it will be time to consider whether moving to HK is worth it and whether Tai Wai or wherever in the NT is something he would be fine with.

But I venture a guess that the OP will more likely reduce the size of his flat than extend the trip to and from home. A choice made by many foreigners coming to HK.

Wimbledon Village, London (possibly soon to be HK)

Thanks, all.

Some food for thought it seems.

Re: commute time, in Wimbledon I'm 40minutes roughly door to door. Tokyo I was also 40 minutes, just about. So I think that is about the limit I'd want. Taiwan was an exception - I lived in Taipei but the company's headquarters was in Taoyuan - spent 1 1/2 hours each way going back and forth - absolutely dreadful! Truthfully, I'm not mad at staying in the NT, so long as the commute doesn't stretch beyond 45 minutes. I like a crowd, but not overcrowded (if that makes sense). NT could be a good option to get out of the inner city. I've never taken a bus in HK, so can't comment - through past experience, they usually tended to be slower though. And either way, I still prefer to have MTR access in case I wanted to go other places that the bus wasn't so convenient for.

Similarly, I'm not sure how much less I'd be able to go in terms of sqft'age. This, honestly, would depend on the cut of the flat (I've seen spacious places that were cut awfully and space was wasted and not really usable, similarly have seen slightly smaller houses that were cut better and more comfortable). That said, I think when you start trying to squeeze a 2br into 500ft, things get a bit complicated me thinks.

Re: %'s of salary on rent/mtg, it's worth noting that this should be a maximum, not the average. The lower the better. Being over extended doesn't help anybody and should not be the norm - if it is the norm, you have long-term trouble brewing (think Asian crisis 97, US a decade later). Taking into account we have other properties we own outside of HK, I really don't want to go much beyond 15k (you can call me greedy or cheap even, and I'm fine with that . I could probably again swing a little bit (maybe 20k), but I think that would definitely be the cap.

About the discussion, it's picking up a bit, for the most part. They came in low with the base, but we are considering a staged incremental increase. They'll also pay for short term accommodation whilst I search for a flat (timing and length of time still TBD, though). A good portion of the pay is backloaded via bonuses (though, I tend not to plan based off of bonus). They won't budget on housing allowance, though. I'm actually trying to convince them that we should provide this to all our employees to help give them a tax break and help our year end balance sheet, but they are hesitant as I think they are concerned about the amount of time that would be needed in man hours to accommodate everybody (it's a small team of about 30 people, but I suppose if audited it could take a considerable amount of time).

@Mat: why do you feel NT is settling? Again, I'm not terribly familiar w/the NT, but keen to know why you say this. Thanks for the list, btw. Hong Hom was mentioned by another person I know, as was Tseung Kwan O).

Wimbledon Village, London (possibly soon to be HK)

@Zerg: the centadata site, I don't see rental values, only sales values (which doesn't always have a direct 1:1 with rental rates).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast