Like Tree15Likes

Hi All~ Negotiating transfer and I have some questions (if you don't mind)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Wimbledon Village, London (possibly soon to be HK)

Hi All~ Negotiating transfer and I have some questions (if you don't mind)

Hi All.

Been reading some of the threads on this forum and they are very insightful. Thanks in advance for taking time to help people out. I remember when I first moved overseas, none of the was possible!! So, thanks in advance.

This is actually the second time I'm writing this (the first time was quite lengthy and when I clicked submit, the session had timed-out so I lost everything). ??

Here is some background to hopefully help give you context for my questions.

Professional:
    -12 years experience in marketing and business development
    -7 years in Asia (4 in Japan, 2 1/2 in Taiwan, 1/2 in Thailand)
    -5 years in the west in Europe in the States (dual citizen of US and Italy, actually)
    -mostly covering telecom and entertainment (games, music, and movie content)

Educational:
    -MBA in Finance from Rotterdam School of Management in Holland (top 10 EU school)
    -BA (cum laude) in International Relations and an Economics minor

Opportunity:
    -Head of Sales/Head of Product Marketing covering HK + ASEAN markets
    -significant travel most likely throughout the region
    -HK based (Tsim Sha Tsui)
    -internal transfer (did the same responsibilities here in Europe for the past 1 1/2 years)
    - however, non-expat post; locally hired foreigner = no housing allowance
    (explanation later).
    -fortune 100 firm (Japanese)

Questions:
    Q1) with the experience I have and for the scope of the role, what sort of salary do you think I could command? I suspect they are coming in a bit low, but perhaps I'm just out-of-touch with the market dynamics at the moment (I've looked at salary reports, but still would appreciate feedback from non-biased people).

Q2) office is in TST about 7 minutes walk from TST station on Canton Rd. As such, can you recommend a place that is no more than 35 minutes door to door commute? Preferably with no more than a 7 minute walk from home to station (so 20 minutes on train with max 5-7min walks capping off each side). I could probably push that to 40 door to door. I've looked online, but if HK is anything like any other place in Asia I've lived, there is a considerable mark-up on listings on the net and there are much better flats found on the ground.

Constraints and Desires to the above: 2br, ~800sqft (more is always good), <$15k a month rent, preferably with a balcony or a garden (fitness room is an added plus but not required), greenish area with trees or near the water (I like to run and don't particularly want to travel to have to do so - once ran in Wan Chai and it was the WORST running experience I've had in my life!), decent supermarket and perhaps also a wet market (we like to cook and eat eastern and western dishes), good restaurants (actually, we just like to eat! cheap eats thru upper-middle tier places); decent shopping (mid-tier fashion and also a household type goods place for day to days would be very helpful - Jusco in Japan was nice, as was Carrefour in TW and Tesco in BKK); professional residents ~28-45yrs old; ideally with good local schools (still young enough to go local).

To give an idea, I currently live in Wimbledon Village (London) and in Taipei I lived in Da'An area; in BKK I was in Silom, in Tokyo I wasn't far from Akasaka. If any of you are familiar with those~ In Wimbledon, I'm only 40 minutes door to door to my office in Oxford Circus, and within a 10 minute walk to my house I have everything I need, including parks, nature, hills, views, shopping, food, etc. (similar to what was mentioned above). Current rent (with council tax) is 1500 pounds, so I don't want to spend more than $15k in Hong Kong (regardless of salary, I'd like to cap it at that).

Context:
    I'm 34 and my fiancé is Taiwanese. I was working in Taipei when I was headhunted to relocate to London for my current opportunity. During the process, I explained that I may go back to Asia at some point for obvious reasons. Turns out, Mrs. is ready to do so. Hong Kong is possibly a good compromise, as the business climate is a bit stronger and more international compared to Taipei (at least for the moment). As it happens, the company was able to create headcount for the opportunity in the HK office, as they have a need to handle the same exact work I've been doing successfully with the company here in Europe. We are currently negotiating. That said, as I was originally relocated FROM Asia, the company will not give a traditional expat package, but is more a locally sourced foreigner.

As mentioned, we are negotiating and I think they are trying to play that against me in an attempt to reduce salary expectations. Which, by the way, I really dislike as a tactic! HK is 95% local - Sure many are receiving government subsidy, but also Many of them live very comfortable lifestyles and make plenty of cash! Many wouldn't dare eat at some of the places I have tried, because they aren't posh enough (though admittedly, even I shouldn't have eaten at some of the places I've tried, especially in China and Indonesia - got food poisoning on my last day in Jakarta once and had one hell of a flight back to London!!).

At any rate, as I said, HK could be a nice compromise, but I don't have to jump at any old offer so want to due some due diligence to make sure they and I both have realistic expectations.

Thanks in advance!

Get married, at least then your wife can find work easier in Hong Kong.

Hah. Fair enough.
    but, I think it would be easy for her to get something in HK as a Taiwanese (well, relatively easy, at least).

Also, having said that, she owns a business in Taiwan and is expanding to Vietnam, handling imports and exports of nutrition and beauty products, so she should continue to focus on that rather than working for somebody else's company.

And even still, for the one question I asked about salary, I think either of our incomes need to be valued independently of the others just for good measure. Our livability and lifestyle should be able to be supported independently by either person, if needed.

You do know she can't legally reside in HK without a valid visa?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    You do know she can't legally reside in HK without a valid visa?

yeah true but she can come on a toursit visa..fly in and out of tw... and as a taiwanese she will find without much trouble a job.

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks Mobile
    Last edited by Mat; 25-07-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Hi Jimbo.
    Yes, I'm aware, thanks.

She wouldn't be employed in Hong Kong and we have a place in Taiwan - still have a base there.
    So there will be a bit of back and forth travel for a while, most probably a couple of times a month (minimally once a month).

As a TW'ese, she also has the Mainland Travel Permit (the special green passport), they usually don't give hassle at immigration. I believe she can enter HK visa exempt for 30 days.

Mat, precisely. She shouldn't have any problems coming in and out, if we end up there.

thats right.
    if u are looking at 800sqft net living space, you are searching for a 1000sqft apartment.
    assuming kowloon / olympic station (5 mins cab/15mins mini bus), then your budget should be at least HKD30,000-40,000.
    perhaps prince edward area (15 mins mtr) then your budget will be about HKD20-25,000

for hkd15,000 you should consider TAI WAI or somewhere in the new territories.
    or lower your expectations and look for a 800sqft gross, or 500-600sqft..that will lower your cost by about HKD5000 a month.

I suggeste you look at FEstival City in Tai Wai.
    You can take the rail to TST EAST and walk to TST in about 10 mins

Original Post Deleted
    Last edited by zergmei; 25-07-2012 at 08:39 AM.
    dear giant likes this.

very difficult to find housing. many 800 sq ft places have 3-4 super small bedrooms. and 800sq ft means 500 and so forth and you definitely need to increase your housing budget.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile

dear giant likes this.

Thanks for the feedback thus far.

@DeletedUser: Akasaka was great, as is Wimbledon. What were you doing in Akasaka?
    Truthfully, I've been very happy with my last three neighbourhoods (including Da'An in Taipei). All very green, not terribly congested, yet still have a buzz and are well connected. Viewing what can be had is a good idea, though not sure if I'd have that much time before deciding if we are going to make this happen or not (notably as they have a pressing product launch for 2 key markets coming up so the clock is ticking).

@Zerg: I've not been to Tai Wai - How's the trip to the airport from there?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast