Like Tree34Likes

What do you bring back to HK when you travel overseas?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    I am surprised at the amount of drugs people bring back too. You can get a bottle of 50 paracetamol at a local pharmacist for $30 or similar. Not really sure what other drugs you need to stockpile that aren't easily available in Mannings/Watson.

Coffee, shoes and clothes are what I tend to bring back. We have a Nespresso coffee machine and I can buy compatible coffee capsules much cheaper in the UK. Would love to find a source here if anyone knows.

This is the cheapest place I found so far

Nespresso® Compatible Coffee Capsules

Thanks for this, at least cheaper than buying from Nespresso.

I wonder if there is any connection that people are bringing:

salami, cheese, saucisson, crisps, foie gras, cookies, pate, sweets, chewing tobacco, snacks
    and
    pain killers, deodorant

Overdoing it maybe?

Last edited by bookblogger; 28-07-2012 at 01:21 AM.

If you’re a man and your foot size is larger than 44 European or 12 US, bring a pair or two of new shoes.
    Why the difference in European size and US size?

a US size 12 is a European 46

a European 44 is a US size 10

might want to change this in the article because it does not add up

Wimbledon Village, London (possibly soon to be HK)

Depends where I am returning from, but:
    - clothing (I still think clothes in the US are best balance of affordability yet quality for more name brand stuff, and Thailand the best for the cheaper lounge about type wear)
    - Gatsby after shower spritz (Lemon) from Japan
    - a shot glass or tea set from wherever I'm traveling to (if it's the first time in a long time)
    - gifts for people

I don't really like traveling heavy, so all of the above depend on my current stock levels (except gifts, of course).

*Edit:
    One other thing I'll buy from the US (or Japan), is high quality music and camera equipment. It isn't often, but if I am to buy, I will buy from either of those two places. Much cheaper to buy the good stuff there!!!!

Last edited by CAP; 29-07-2012 at 04:50 PM.

We just arrived back from Blighty yesterday with 68kg of luggage!! Mostly food stuffs....heres what we brought back;
    Dualit Toaster : cause we like really good toast!
    Oral B sonic toothbrush
    Loads of kitchen stuff - rolling pin, apron, chefs knifes, EGG CUPS
    Whal hair trimmer : I shave my head once a week: saves a fortune in the barbers
    8 bottles ECCONA chilli sauce : simply the best and unavailable anywhere here...belive me I'vre tried
    Large bags of spices, chilli powder, pepper corns ( why are pepper corns sooo expensive here )Bravisimo Bra's ( not for me but my wife )
    Loads of M & S Stuff
    Sainsburys Chilli Nuts, Bags and bags of Fresh Coffee & 10 bags Freeze dried coffee..TONS of Cadburys chocolate!!!

And no doubt when we return at Crimbo we will do it all again.....makes life here feel a bit more like back home with a few creature comforts.......I will be taking bids on My Cadburys large bars of Fruit and Nut:-)

Until we return at Cristmas

knk likes this.

You can get cheap peppercorns (and spices generally) in the Indian grocery stores in Chun King Mansions - I calculated it was something like 1/20th of the price being charged in expat supermarkets if you buy their small jars at $50 a pop.

neosphere, bookblogger and Cwbguy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    You can get cheap peppercorns (and spices generally) in the Indian grocery stores in Chun King Mansions - I calculated it was something like 1/20th of the price being charged in expat supermarkets if you buy their small jars at $50 a pop.
    If you dont have an Indian provision place nearby you can also head to the nearest wetmarket. Every wetmarket has a small stall selling spices. Ask around and you'll find them. Similar to the Indian provision stores, the price will be a tiny fraction of what you'd pay at a silly expat supermarket...
    bookblogger, neosphere and Cwbguy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mslee:

Food that I would bring over -
    Honey & manuka drops - available here @ 3 times the price
    Muesli bars & the like
    Cookie Bear 100s & 1000s!
    Whittaker's chocolate - I've only seen them in Tung Chung
    Nesquik strawberry - it's always the little things that make me homesick
    I've seen Whittaker's in Great Supermarket. Also there is a NZ shop in Wanchai.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    If you dont have an Indian provision place nearby you can also head to the nearest wetmarket. Every wetmarket has a small stall selling spices. Ask around and you'll find them. Similar to the Indian provision stores, the price will be a tiny fraction of what you'd pay at a silly expat supermarket...
    Yes, although the wet markets tend to have a tiny fraction of what is available in Chun King grocery stores - probably five times as much choice as there.

Cadburys chocolate, the real stuff not the Aussie rubbish. Jerk seasoning and other spices. Reggae reggae sauce. Mint/lime Source shower gel. Multivitamins from Asda or Tesco. Galaxy chocolate. Thornton's chocolate. More chocolate. Childrens clothing. Trainers.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast