Like Tree34Likes

What do you bring back to HK when you travel overseas?

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I am so with you with the ice cream, cherry vanilla purchased in Lafayette is umm, pretty WOW.. Also the variety of lightly flavoured ( peche/citron/framboise) eau minerale, which I prefer to drink, as I am not interested in soda pop, is abundantly available everywhere.

Agree with you regarding the mainstream manufactured chocolate, too sweet and sticky...
    Nothing beats chocolate produced in a multi generational, family owned chocolatier, in my opinion. We'll be driving to Belgium from Paris via Chantily for a 3 day trip to catch up with friends in Brussels, and Bruge. I am so looking forward to buying an assortment of bespoke chocolate to bring back for family and friends here. As good chocolate should be shared .
    Yes, I almost forgot! I drink the lightly flavored sodas that have no sugar, they just taste natural such as Ramlösa and Löka or the ICA brands. Give me Lakrits and citron , or elderflower , pear icecream anyday. Just brought back the new Elderflower and Blackberry Pimms from the UK plus the new Absolut melon and lemongrass. Our freezer has more different types of vodka than any other food.

Re the chocolate, can I be your friend...???
    Skyhook likes this.

You two gonna get a room ?

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    You two gonna get a room ?
    Naaahhhh, just the choc and me. Preferable Neuhaus or Leseiffer. Pity Teuscher chocolates closed up in IFC. Too bad it was ridiculously expensive compared to what you buy it for in Switzerland. I was in chocolate heaven when I last visited the store in Zurich.

I can't remember the name of it, probably from the after effects of the Newton bar in the Gendarmmarkt, but there is this fabulous chocolate store just Friedrichstrasse in Berlin. Really, truly, honestly too good chocolate in this shop. By the time I'd left Berlin for Sweden , my luggage was overweight, bordering on excess luggage charges. It was Christmas 2010, and my husband and I had to leave some presents behind with the inlaws, but all of the chocolate made it back to HK ok.

Didn't realise there were so many Euros here. Where are all the NAmericanos? For me, I bring back sweaters from Banana Republic, towels from Bed&Bath, frozen meat pies from Pie in the Sky (Melbourne), Aunt Jemima maple syrup, American branded left handed golf clubs (Titleist, Callaway, TaylorMade, etc), casual wear from Target, hockey equipment.

Socks and underwear for the whole family- I love shopping at Target!
    Over the counter meds like NyQuil and Benadryl.
    Candy- jolly ranchers and smarties
    Pants and shorts that fit me
    Running shoes and sports equipment
    Deodorant that is not roll-on
    Earplugs
    Board games

Quote Originally Posted by DeannaX:
    Socks and underwear for the whole family- I love shopping at Target!
    Over the counter meds like NyQuil and Benadryl.
    Candy- jolly ranchers and smarties
    Pants and shorts that fit me
    Running shoes and sports equipment
    Deodorant that is not roll-on
    Earplugs
    Board games
    are smarties really that much better than m&m's ? Because the latter you get everywhere in Hong Kong (not a trick question )

nah m and m,s are better than smarties in my opinion especially if they have been in the fridge.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    nah m and m,s are better than smarties in my opinion especially if they have been in the fridge.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks mobile app
    Why not just buy a big roll of Smarties at Prizemart, for 15 dollars or something like that!? I think it's 200 grams or something!? Not sure. maybe 175.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    Last year, I brought in a lot of cheese and other foodstuffs from Spain, and customs didn't bat an eyelid, so I doubt you'd be hung, drawn and quartered for bringing in butter.
    I'm also a bit worried it would melt, considering it's often a 12 hour flight, not counting the trips to/from the airport. But at least it's a relief they might let it slide Butter is ridiculously expensive here.

When I go back to Oz, I bring back decent wine for cheaper than you can buy here. When I go back to Germany, I buy chocolate, sweets, clothes, shoes and other foodstuffs I miss like quality mustard!

I'm not Korean, nor lived there, but when I revisit, I load my suitcase up with vegan cosmetics that are free from parabens, sulfates and other unhealthy ingredients. Also, underwear and clothes. Cheaper than HK and better quality. You can buy good sunscreen from Skin Food and Innesfree for much cheaper than HK.
    Skin Food and Innesfree are in Korea!? Maybe we'll visit that country in the coming months. Japan is on the list first though.

Quote Originally Posted by Yi-Long:
    I'm also a bit worried it would melt, considering it's often a 12 hour flight, not counting the trips to/from the airport. But at least it's a relief they might let it slide Butter is ridiculously expensive here.

Skin Food and Innesfree are in Korea!? Maybe we'll visit that country in the coming months. Japan is on the list first though.
    The butter should not melt when you bring it over as long as you pack it in your checked in luggage. I always find that anything in my suitcase keeps cold from being in the hold during the flight. I have brought over cream cakes in my hand luggage with no problem. Just wrap it up securely in aluminum foil and it should be ok.

Skin Food and Innesfree are South Korean brands. Much cheaper to buy there than here and larger range of products. I also buy Yves Rocher in Sweden and Germany, and they do have a decent men's range, so I buy for my husband as well. He says the Innesfree stuff tends to last longer than the commercial stuff and doesn't have a chemical smell.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast